NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Anyone use a green light for spotting coyote or will a red one only work?
    "The people will suffer what is sufferable rather than to assume the burden of righting what is wrong."

"And if you give people a kind of common cause, a pivotal cause such as freedom, then it stirs them in a huge way."

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    i THINK only red

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Infra red

Works the best !!

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I'm using red LED lights for night fox and coyote hunting. I've researched this extensively, and most predator hunting experts state that green is not recommended for predator hunting.

I've lit up one coyote at about 100 yds. and many fox anywhere from 3 - 100 yds. with a headlamp I bought at Walmart for under $14.00. It has white lights and two red LED lights that can run for about 60 hours on one set of batteries.

Optronics makes a few nice headlamps for predator hunting:

http://www.wavemangifts.com/onlinest...&idcategory=83

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb...7&kwtid=225299

One problem I have experienced with the headlamps is that if you don't have your shotgun barrel pointed at the predator when you "light it's eyes up" is that they are very quick to pick up the swing of your barrel in the red light and will be gone in a flash.

I ordered the light from the first link last week, and I just ordered the headlamp from the second link listed above and I'm gonna try to mount the light to my gun barrel.

I hope this helps!!!

JT

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Try the porch light...
    "to all those in harms way, SEMPER FI"

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Would some sort of red plastic lens over a white flashlight do or does it have to be something special?
    "The people will suffer what is sufferable rather than to assume the burden of righting what is wrong."

"And if you give people a kind of common cause, a pivotal cause such as freedom, then it stirs them in a huge way."

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I thought dogs, coyotes and wolves where all color blind and can't tell the difference between red and green.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Any red covering will do.

Jay (Outlaw) used plastic from a brake light repair kit to cut out a red lens that fit his flashlight.

I thought dogs, coyotes and wolves where all color blind and can't tell the difference between red and green.
    Your above statement is correct, but I believe that red fox can see some color, that's why wearing blaze orange is not required in NJ while hunting fox and coyote from a stand.

As to the color,it's not really the color that is the issue, but the light intensity is a serious factor to consider.

When hunting predators it is recommended to keep the animals eyes glowing in the "halo" created by the light beam, and not directly in the beam. This will minimize scaring them off.

Also, your night vision becomes a factor. Most lenses leave gaps on the edge that spill white light out the sides. The spillage of white light is a bad thing as it fouls up your night vision and lights you up as well. However, it is necessary so the spotlight doesn't overheat and melt the lens.

To remedy this you can put a cowling on the light so the lens is recessed. This allows the cooling vents to remain open but keeps the white light contained. Modifying a black, plastic flowerpot works great.

Red lenses seem to work better for night vision than the green lens which seems to emit a "brighter" light beam.

FYI - Different animals eyes reflect different colors in a white light spotlight. Fox have close-set, amber colored eyes. Some cattle also have amber colored eyes that are set farther apart. Whitetail deer have greenish-blue eyes and some animals have reddish colored eyes.

With the red lense light, the width of the spread between the eyes is a good clue as to what predator has come to your call.

I'm new to this night time hunting as of this year, but have researched it extensively and have been successful in calling in, getting shots at, and harvesting some red fox.

I stopped deer hunting in mid-January and switched over to strictly night time predator hunting.

This is one of the greatest sports I have ever participated in, and I'm hooked and committed to becoming an experienced night time predator hunter.

Hope this helps.

JT

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Thanks JT. Good info there.

Sponsors