Continued Excellent May Trout Fishing
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: Continued Excellent May Trout Fishing

Member #

Continued Excellent May Trout Fishing

I’ve built up a lot of vacation reserve over the last 2 years so considering that it rained all last Saturday, I didn’t go fishing Sunday due to Mother’s Day, and the night time temps were less than conducive to great trout fishing, I decided to take a day off this week and spend the day on the water. While looking at the weather earlier in the week I knew that yesterday was the day. Stream temps were going to be at yearly highs following a 60+ night and I knew that the events of the past weekend would probably have reduced pressure greatly on local streams.

I had originally decided to fish a few new stream, one of which is stocked, I did a lot of planning for this trip but at the last second I thought ‘ya know….I better looking at the stocking schedule’ and saw that the stream had been very recently stocked. That was bad news so I abandoned that idea immediately due to the fact that there was surely going to have been other anglers there recently and there were probably going to be guys there all week. I really didn’t wanna be messing around with other fisherman at all. So with very little time to regroup I chose a plan A, B, and C for the today and off I went.

I arrived streamside to a steamy 73 degrees at daybreak. I debated wet wading but for whatever reason I couldn’t get into the mental state for that just yet. Seemed early regardless of the weather. Stream temps were not going to be an issue on this day. I wasted little time getting start but as usual, near the parking area the fishing was rather ‘blah’. I caught 5 trout I the first 30 minutes of fishing but have had much much better on this stream. Eventually as I fished my way upstream the pace began to improve and once I got into hour 2 I was catching trout at a very consistent pace and having a good time.

Stream levels were outstanding today, which I expected.

Some of the browns on this stream have amazing red markings.

And the habitat is exceptional throughout.

This stream runs through a very fertile valley and it’s a jungle along the stream with every square inch taken up by greenery (and purple haha)

I was on a fairly short section of stream so before long it was time to move on to the next location!!

Even though stream #2 was flowing great and had good cover the fishing was very slow at first.

Only a few trout came to hand in the first 25 minutes

But much like stream #1 the fishing picked up the further I got from the parking area. In this case though the fishing got really good much like it was last weekend. I was pretty focused and giving the trout a good education when I had the feeling I was being watched and caught a little movement out of the corner of my eye. When I turned my head there was a black bear about 20 yards off standing what looked like a good 5.5’ tall searching for whatever noise he’d just heard. It was kind of cool to watch as I’ve never seen a bear standing in the wild like that. He stood there scanning shifting his head left to right for about 20 seconds before I figured it was time to alert him of my whereabouts. He got down on all four paws and slipped into the maze of mountain laurel behind him. Pretty cool encounter.

It was back to business after that and business was good……real good!

When I finally made it to the end of the stream at 12:30 pm. That was some really productive action for sure.

I had one more stream on my list for the day and with a good 3 hours left I figured I’d check it out. I had fished there before but only very briefly so I was excited to try some new water. Again……like the first two streams the fishing was slooow for the first 20 minutes of so. The habitat was pretty crappy for the first ¼ mile or so but once the gradient picked up the wild browns started coming to hand. Even a random little native found my offering more than it could resist. The only brook I’d catch on this day.

The fishing was good enough that I just kept going and going and going. I couldn’t wait to see what was around the ‘next bend’. Eventually the stream started to break up into many tiny little channels and get really thick. My hips and back were a little sore and since it was 3:45 I figured it best that I head for home. I’d put in a long day though, I wager that I sent my spinner flying towards a likely target about 3500 times today. Man it was hot on the walk back to the truck (forgot my bike!) and I was woefully under packed with stuff to drink. I was in pretty sore shape when I finally made it to my wheels. I shot to the nearest gas station for the largest Gatorade money could buy. Boy did that hit the spot.

May has really started out tremendous for me and I can only hope it stays that way although I know it won’t. Conditions have been absolutely perfect on the 2 days I’ve fished but that isn’t going to be the case each time out. I’m in central PA this weekend for a little camping and fishing trip and I’m not expecting the fishing to be too very good at all but we’ll see. It’s fun to at least try.
    1190ftalt likes this.

Member #
    Deuce, just look at the pics buddy.......

Member #
    Great pics!

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Great read as usual....will be waiting to see the pics from that PA trip

Sponsors