New Jersey Hunters banner

How was your fishing year?

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  allenl 
#1 · (Edited)
How'd you guys and gals do?

Fluke was a TON of quantity over quality, but I was stuck on shore all the time. Keeper ratio for me was about 15-1 I'd say. Got some big gals, though. Got a few 6lbers.

Bass was the same. Lots of bass caught, only about 10-12 keepers and nothing over 13lbs or so. Descargar Tonos De Llamada Niños riendo Gratis Para Celular

Good porgy season. Caught some weakies. Nothing big, 3-4lbers.

I think everyone crushed the big blues this year, lol.

#5 ·
I became very involved in shark fishing off the surf last year. I'm still on the learning curve but it's been the most fun I've ever had fishing. Caught some great sharks (lost many too!). My kids absolutely love it and become very proficient in helping me with landing, hook removal, pics, and proper release. Took me a whole season to figure out best equipment, bait, techniques, and spots. I'm trying to learn more on particular sharks habits and migration to increase my success (any tips are greatly appreciated) Lots of fun!!

#6 ·
Mixed bag. Did learn a lot about fluking from new NJH friends so definitely looking to put that to use next season (if there is one [eek]). Bass was good to great in the spring and I think I got the hang of how to fish mojos but did not even get out once during the fall. Took the first sharking trip with my own boat and lost a nice thresher so there will be more of that too this summer. No canyon trip which was a bummer but from what my friends said about the tuna season I didn't miss much anyway. A few productive porgy trips with the kids which is always fun.

#7 ·
Heres how it went for me:
Fluke - it was awful in south jersey, and a lot of other people who have been around longer than me said it was the worst year they've ever seen. I had a few decent trips but overall it was a tough year
blowfish/porgies - I've never seen the backbays so full of them, best year I can remember
kingfish - the surf was pretty good, and they were big, but they never came in the bays
weakfish - caught a little one in a back creek that feeds into the del bay... just one though
croakers - completely non-existent this year, I couldn't get away from them 2 years ago
perch - pretty good overall
bluefish - pretty average, I caught some but it wasnt like a few years ago when they were everywhere
stripers - i barely got out for them at all during the prime time, but caught a lot of shorts over the summer while perch fishing
tog - I completely missed the fall backbay bite, but a friend of mine caught the hell out of them this fall, he said he's never seen so many

#8 ·
Had a great year for trout and Smallmouth Bass.Went on a fishing trip to the Keys and caught some Tarpon,Mahi-Mahi,Black eye Tuna. Will be going to Costa-rica soon for Sailfish and Rooster fish with the same friends.
I LOVE fishing![up]

#13 · (Edited)
Fishing was decent this year from boat, fluking was a little off from the previous years but I managed to catch plenty of nice keepers to 7lbs. Spring time striper fishing was excellent with fish to 25lbs., summer striper fishing was hot with one over 50 and quite a few in the 30 to 45lb. range(all released) live lining bunker. Stream fishing for trout was lights out fishing spring and fall[up]

#19 · (Edited)
Great year, conditions were very challenging, seemed like every time I made a trip I was fighting wind,
bad water conditions, or cold fronts or heat waves. Still managed to place well in several tournaments. 4th, and 5th just out of money but competing against 30+ local teams I'll take it. Got to fish in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Maryland in some pretty cool waters LIke the keys, South Florida canals, lake Guntersville, Kentucky and berkeley dams, wheeler lake to name a few of the famous spots. Couple bucket list species as well and even a few world and state records for bowfishing. Plus got to fish with my good buddies and made some new friends as well, had guys come from new York Maine Illinois and Missouri to fish with me.

Reactions: osod20ga
#21 ·
Hi -

Last year I was determined to learn to fish plastics for bass. I've always been a trout fisherman (over 40 years). Bass seemed to hard to catch and I didn't have a boat long enough to get better at it. Late last year I bit the bullet and bought a kayak. Since then, I've built confidence in the plastic baits and have a new personal best of 3.8 lbs to beat this year (not *major huge* but a PB nevertheless). It was a nice start. BTW - it took Tuffbait Craw (green pumpkin). I believe I need to build confidence in other baits too now. I also tried Strike King Rage Craws with success. Anyone use Zoom craws with success (less expensive)??

BR - Freddo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.