difference between "creel limit", "possession limit", "daily limit"
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjfish

Thread: difference between "creel limit", "possession limit", "daily limit"

Member #

difference between "creel limit", "possession limit", "daily limit"

Need someone to explain this to me. What's the definition of, and differences between:

• creel limit
    • possession limit
    • daily limit

I think daily limit is pretty clear - the amount of fish you can catch in day. What's the diff between the others?

I ask for two reasons. One, I was looking to put out a minnow trap. I see daily limit is 35. But what if I catch 35 two days in a row, take my 70 minnows on the third day and fish with them? Am I not legal for possessing over the daily limit?

Also, for sunnies, it says 25 combined daily limit (perch, sunnies, etc). But regs also say "and all other species with no creel limit" - I don't know what that means. It says "with no creel limit" but then says "daily limit is 25".

The regs I'm looking at is on page 27 of the digest here: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf...fsh14-regs.pdf

Member #
    Daily limit and creel limit are the same thing. "Creel" limit is specified to differentiate from size limit, for instance. "Possession" limit is specified because, for example, you can continue to fish after keeping your daily limit as long as you immediately return the fish to the water. While you are releasing that fish, you are technically in possession of one fish more than your daily creel limit. For minnows, if you are fishing with minnows that you catch yourself, you can only have 35 at a time, so you couldn't go fishing with the 70 as in your example, and as is stated, unused herring must be released. You can purchase minnows though, and keep your receipt. Regarding the sunfish, the actual wording is, no "specified" creel limit. That's because they didn't want to try to list every possible sunfish or sunfish hybrid species, but for any other fish not listed, the limit is 25.
    GWO likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for the info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I believe possession limit also is for keeping them at home. If you catch your limit two days in a row of minnows without using any then you can not keep any more till your under the possession limit again
    TEAM BLOODY DECKS BOWFISHING
    2014 Cajun Archery shooting staff
    2013 fish count-1373

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by delawareriver View Post
    I believe possession limit also is for keeping them at home. If you catch your limit two days in a row of minnows without using any then you can not keep any more till your under the possession limit again
    This is the way I understand it also.

Member #
    Just crazy to have a possession limit on baitfish..... Especially such a small number like 35... Crazy.

I used to keep about 15 dozen in my bait tank from May-September. I guess they would lock me up now....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodtrails View Post
    Just crazy to have a possession limit on baitfish..... Especially such a small number like 35... Crazy.

I used to keep about 15 dozen in my bait tank from May-September. I guess they would lock me up now....
    Crazy unless you have a business. Some of the laws are a result of a few that had a good thing going while short changing the public. In all honesty, there is not too many times one person will need more then three dozen bait.

Sponsors