New Jersey Hunters banner

How to keep Crabs alive??

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  huntfishNJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have about an hour drive home after crabbing. How should I be storing them while im fishing and how can I keep them alive for the ride back home?

#5 ·
Open basket like the others have said. Cover with newspaper or burlap. Either moisten the paper or burlap or toss some ice on top. My neighbor has kept them alive for 1-2 days in his garage frig.

#15 ·
Just keep them moist and cold. You don't wnt them to be sitting in any water as all fish, some paper towels or crunched newspaper on top of the ice with the crabs on top. Another layer of something moist on top. Keep them out of the sunand the should last about 2 days as long as the ice doesn't melt. Throw out any dead ones as you don't know how long they have been dead, and they spoil quick. Just make sure their dead and not lethargic.:D Sounds like your worrying to much. If it's a haul cook em and then pack em for the ride home.[up]

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.