NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    (Let me first make it clear this post is a serious question. I am not questioning anyones choice to shoot small deer.)

I grew up and hunted deer my entire life in Dutchess County, New York. This will be my second season hunting in New Jersey.....

As I look at the pictures on this board of the many Does shot this season I am absolutely astounded at the average size of these deer. It appears that the "average" size of the does shoot by members of this board is less then half the average size of the does that I see taken by myself and friends in NY.

That leads to me to my questions...

Are Does in New Jersey really that small?

Are most of the pictures really of Fawns and they are being called Does?

When shooting deer that small, the likely hood of shooting button bucks is very high, is that issue taken into consideration by the hunters taking these deer?

How much edible meat is actual rendered off a deer of that size? In my experience the ratio of usable meat to the size of the animal is very low when discussing "small" deer compared to a "normal" mature deer.

Is the answer to this question.. "the state makes Me"?

OR....Are NJ deer really that small?

(Please lets keep this post civil, only respond if you have something constructive to add...JC...)

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    The quick answer is yes.

I grew up hunting Clinton county NY, and does were average 130-160 lbs. I would saw the average 2-3 year old doe in NJ only goes 70-100 lbs.

Others agree???

-dan
    PLEASE DO NOT HUNT QUEBEC! NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE FOR THE 168 HUNTERS WHO WERE ROBBED OF THEIR MONEY AND THEIR DREAMS IN 2008

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    The Average doe is 80 lbs and the average buck (harvested) is 114. I don't recall where I read this but I read it last year somewhere.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Diver Dan,

Just for clarification "live", or "dressed" weights?

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I would like to respond... First when we look at immature deer or deer born in the spring there are a few things that need to be considered. Every single doe is not bred during their first "heat cycle". When the doe is bred will dictate when she gives birth. Does bred early will give birth early giving the fawn more time to grow and vice versa. Also many fawns come into heat at the end of the rut and they too are bred. When you have immature deer giving birth very late in the spring it will probably meen that particular fawn will be at the bottom end of the "average" weight scale.
    Also if you remember correctly winter lingered around well into early april last year. Pregnant does were severely stressed under those conditions.
    In regards to the button buck comment... any archer that has a few seasons under his belt knows that at archery distances in the early season "buttons" or "nubs" are clearly evident.
    I hunt the same property year in and year out so I choose to avoid shooting them.
    I can't find fault with any one who chooses to harvest these animals.
    I will say in my humble opinion that the meat of a deer that is 4-8 months old is some of the finest meat this VENISONEATR has ever sank his teeth into
    Best way to fight an anti... Teach your kids how to hunt and fish!

Member #
    YOU THINK THEY ARE SMALL IN NJ, YOU SHOULD COME TO SOUTH FLORIDA.

JOE

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I hunt private land in Zone 2 and I have some 130 140lb Does on there maybe some bigger. I try to shoot the larger ones and give the little ones a chance. But I would have to say it is the Hunters choice as to what he/she shoots. I have shot a couple small ones in the past but now a days I try to take the larger Does. Or the Nicer Bucks. NJ does have allot of small Deer though I see more small then large. I think all the extended seasons and antlerless restrictions are the cause. I am seeing fewer and fewer Deer every year I know that is the point of the antlerless hunts but I think it should be re-looked at and Managed a little better.

Good Post thanks JC. and I agree keep it civil this post is not knocking anyone just looking for answers.
    Member UBNJ

Weapons of Choice
    Bow - PSE FireStorm Lite (sold)
    Future Xbow owner
    Shotgun - Remington 1187

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Dbuck,

I just looked that info up...

(mature NJ whitetails) adults average 100 pounds (females) to 150 pounds (males).
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/deerart.htm

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Please lets keep this post civil, only respond if you have something constructive to add...JC
    Wow, the last time this came up there was a firestorm !!
    Compared to other states, yes Jersey deer are on the average smaller. Whether it genetics or nutrition they seem to be smaller. Yes there are big bodied deer here, I've taken 160 - 180 pound bucks here on the farm, but then again all year long they are feeding on corn, soybeans, alfalfa, and carrots. Kinda like farm raised. But in the Jersey pines what are they eating? Pine needles and oak leaves ? The doe I shot last week weighed 60lbs., and according to her teeth, she was appox. 3yrs. old. Three years ago I took a nice racked 10 pointer in the pines that only weighed 87 lbs. and was 4 yrs. old. I personally won't shoot any young deer because there's better than a 50-50 chance that it will be a button buck. But then again I have stands that I can see 15 - 20 deer at a time. So I can pick and choose my targets. But everyone has to make their own decision as to what their harvest will be. My rule is: If the nose is Short, do not SHOOT . The little guys ( this years ) tend to have short roundish heads, so even after they lose their spots, you can still tell who's who. We call the " FUZZY HEADS "

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    there is Absolutely NO WAY they average harvested buck is 150 lbs,unless they are talking live weight.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors