NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    I got my FID over 30 years ago, and lost it somehow after moving around the state, living in several towns. I never made a purchase. I obtained the ID in Sayreville. I now live in Raritan Township. Will this long a time from first issue of the card cause problems renewing?

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I just met a man in his 60's with the same problem. State police had NO record of his FID. It was much easier for him to start all over.
    First step is to call Sayreville to see if they still have a record of your FID. If not, I would re-apply as new FID in Raritan.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    There is a Check Box on the actual form if it was lost or stolen but because you also moved around a change of address probabaly applies too.

Link to Form
    http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

How about calling the PD where you first got it and asking them? Something tells me you may have to go through the process again if good record keeping was not done.
    UBNJ Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    NExt time make a copy and leave the origanal in the safe and use the copy to buy and carry go to staples or office max it only cost a few dollars for them to copy and you cant tell the differance thumb print and all

Member #
    just met a man in his 60's with the same problem. State police had NO record of his FID. It was much easier for him to start all over.
    First step is to call Sayreville to see if they still have a record of your FID. If not, I would re-apply as new FID in Raritan.
    Every time you move you MUSTget a new card I thought I lost mine a couple months ago and went to the P D in my town which was the issueing P D and they wanted me to go through the same process which I had done appx 3 years ago the Detective said that was a state police requirement not the local P D

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    After that long they will probably want you to re-file, to make sure nothing has changed making it illegal for you to buy one.

Member #
    I wish those guys in Trenton we call lawmakers read these blogs so they could actually comprehend how difficult it is to LEGALLY purchase a firearm in this state...................yet we need even more laws in place so that they look like they are earning their keep.
    If only Jack O'Connor had written about the .270's effectiveness on Zombies, he might be known today as a decent gun scribe, and that cartridge might enjoy more widespread use...

Member #
    Thanks all for replying to my post. Your comments make me now realize after so long that I would have to re-apply for a new card. What was I thinking Sayreville PD is not going to want to dig up a 30 year old FID, if it even still exsists. I did not call, but I can just hear them say you need to re-apply. I though I might get away with it being a bit easier for a replacement.

I just wanted to get a nice pellet air rifle. To do some recreational target shooting and deal with some pests in my yard. Years ago as a Boy Scout I took a gun saftey and shooting class at the Sayreville PD range. I was a good shot with a .22 rifle. After I turned 18, I was excited to get my FID, but my parents forbid me to buy a firearm, so I never got into hunting or shooting like I wanted to.
    I really do not have perseverance to go thru the full process to renew. Which is probably exactly why NJ makes it like they do, so people will lose interest. I know I could go into some other state and legally buy a pellet rifle no problem. I do not want to risk a routine traffic stop tuning into a nightmare of illegally transporting a firearm in NJ.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I do not want to risk a routine traffic stop tuning into a nightmare of illegally transporting a firearm in NJ.
    It's not a problem. You do not need an NJ FPID to transport to a range.

Member #
    My concern is about transporting from where the pellet rifle is purchased, then coming back home to NJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors