NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    Member #
    hi. does any criminal record at all, no matter how minor, stop you from getting a fid card? it is a minor disorderly persons conviction in municipal court. or, does it have to be exponged to get a gun card? thanks for any info. brian.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I'd play it safe and get it expunged. After all, who wants a criminal record? Certainly not any prospective Bosses who may check on you.
    look at question 17+18
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info...ms/sts-033.pdf

Look at question4
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/info...rms/sp-634.pdf

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Yes. I don't think they are going to take any chances and error on the side of caution and decline. Get it expunged.
    NJOA Central Region Rep.
    Linden Sportsmens Rod and Gun Club
    NJFSC
    UBNJ
    NRA - Patron Member
    DU

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    For sure, I'm no expert. But, I've been trying to learn more on the subject because my son was charged for riding his dirt bike.

This is 2C:58-3c.1 thru 8 .....
    c.Who may obtain. No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth. No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:

(1)To any person who has been convicted of any crime, or a disorderly persons offense involving an act of domestic violence as defined in section 3 of P.L.1991,c.261(C.2C:25-19), whether or not armed with or possessing a weapon at the time of such offense;

(2)To any drug dependent person as defined in section 2 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-2), to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently an habitual drunkard;

(3)To any person who suffers from a physical defect or disease which would make it unsafe for him to handle firearms, to any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic unless any of the foregoing persons produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms; to any person who knowingly falsifies any information on the application form for a handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card;

(4)To any person under the age of 18 years for a firearms purchaser identification card and to any person under the age of 21 years for a permit to purchase a handgun;

(5)To any person where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare;

(6)To any person who is subject to a restraining order issued pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) prohibiting the person from possessing any firearm;

(7)To any person who as a juvenile was adjudicated delinquent for an offense which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a crime and the offense involved the unlawful use or possession of a weapon, explosive or destructive device or is enumerated in subsection d. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c.117 (C:2C:43-7.2); or

(8)To any person whose firearm is seized pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) and whose firearm has not been returned.
    It seems that, notwithstanding the discretion of the Chief, only a Disorderly Persons offense that involves domestic violence disqualifies you from obtaining a NJ FPID card ?????
    Follow me.

Member #
    For what it's worth, I had a disorderly persons offense when I was 18 (driving my 4X4 on private property and eluding the cops I saw on foot - dumb!). No issues years later when I got my FID...I think they look for felony convictions or patterns where you have multiple disorderly violations. Just a guess.

Member #
    I believe in NJ, the term "crime" is statutorily synonymous with "felony". What most states call "misdemeanors" are all collectively called "disorderly persons" offenses. It's a little wierd - I didn't understand it at first, either.

So that being the case, the only "misdemeanor" offense that can disqualify you (PD chief's discretion aside) is a domestic violence charge/conviction.

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    In New Jersey there are two types. Crimes are 1st, 2nd 3d, and 4th degree. The are called "Indictable" as they are referred to Superior Court to be heard. All other incidents are referred to as "Offenses", which are heard in township Municipal Court. Technically, when you are charged with an "Offense", you are not arrested, you are simply served with a "Summons" which is referred to Municipal Court. The only Offenses in NJ that you are usually "Arrested" for are DWI, Possession of CDS in a MV, and Reckless driving causing Injury or Death. Hope this info helps.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I'd play it safe and get it expunged
    I agree. It may not make a difference but at least this way you have a clean record and you can ensure that you will get it. Also...be honest about everything on the application.
    It's Alright To Be A Redneck

Rutgers Rugby
    New York Knights Rugby

Sponsors