will a very minor criminal record prevent you from getting a fid card?
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Typical BrianB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Member #
    hi. does any criminal record at all, no matter how minor, stop you from getting a fid card? it is a minor disorderly persons conviction in municipal court. or, does it have to be exponged to get a gun card? thanks for any info. brian.

  2. #2
    Dominant Buck jerseyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    The Woods of Jersey
    Member #
    932 times
    I'd play it safe and get it expunged. After all, who wants a criminal record? Certainly not any prospective Bosses who may check on you.
    look at question 17+18

    Look at question4

  3. #3
    Non Typical fredmon38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Member #
    Yes. I don't think they are going to take any chances and error on the side of caution and decline. Get it expunged.
    NJOA Central Region Rep.
    Linden Sportsmens Rod and Gun Club
    NRA - Patron Member

  4. Remove Advertisements

  5. #4
    Typical coot09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Member #
    For sure, I'm no expert. But, I've been trying to learn more on the subject because my son was charged for riding his dirt bike.

    This is 2C:58-3c.1 thru 8 .....
    c.Who may obtain. No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth. No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:

    (1)To any person who has been convicted of any crime, or a disorderly persons offense involving an act of domestic violence as defined in section 3 of P.L.1991,c.261(C.2C:25-19), whether or not armed with or possessing a weapon at the time of such offense;

    (2)To any drug dependent person as defined in section 2 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-2), to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently an habitual drunkard;

    (3)To any person who suffers from a physical defect or disease which would make it unsafe for him to handle firearms, to any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic unless any of the foregoing persons produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof, that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms; to any person who knowingly falsifies any information on the application form for a handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card;

    (4)To any person under the age of 18 years for a firearms purchaser identification card and to any person under the age of 21 years for a permit to purchase a handgun;

    (5)To any person where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare;

    (6)To any person who is subject to a restraining order issued pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) prohibiting the person from possessing any firearm;

    (7)To any person who as a juvenile was adjudicated delinquent for an offense which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a crime and the offense involved the unlawful use or possession of a weapon, explosive or destructive device or is enumerated in subsection d. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c.117 (C:2C:43-7.2); or

    (8)To any person whose firearm is seized pursuant to the "Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-17 et seq.) and whose firearm has not been returned.
    It seems that, notwithstanding the discretion of the Chief, only a Disorderly Persons offense that involves domestic violence disqualifies you from obtaining a NJ FPID card ?????
    Follow me.

  6. #5
    Dominant Buck Bucksnbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Member #
    2006 times
    For what it's worth, I had a disorderly persons offense when I was 18 (driving my 4X4 on private property and eluding the cops I saw on foot - dumb!). No issues years later when I got my FID...I think they look for felony convictions or patterns where you have multiple disorderly violations. Just a guess.

  7. #6
    Fawn whatshappeninman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Member #
    I believe in NJ, the term "crime" is statutorily synonymous with "felony". What most states call "misdemeanors" are all collectively called "disorderly persons" offenses. It's a little wierd - I didn't understand it at first, either.

    So that being the case, the only "misdemeanor" offense that can disqualify you (PD chief's discretion aside) is a domestic violence charge/conviction.

  8. #7
    Monster Buck ringwood boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Member #
    1348 times
    In New Jersey there are two types. Crimes are 1st, 2nd 3d, and 4th degree. The are called "Indictable" as they are referred to Superior Court to be heard. All other incidents are referred to as "Offenses", which are heard in township Municipal Court. Technically, when you are charged with an "Offense", you are not arrested, you are simply served with a "Summons" which is referred to Municipal Court. The only Offenses in NJ that you are usually "Arrested" for are DWI, Possession of CDS in a MV, and Reckless driving causing Injury or Death. Hope this info helps.

  9. #8
    Non Typical barebackjack88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Member #
    I'd play it safe and get it expunged
    I agree. It may not make a difference but at least this way you have a clean record and you can ensure that you will get it. Also...be honest about everything on the application.
    It's Alright To Be A Redneck

    Rutgers Rugby
    New York Knights Rugby


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. DIY MINOR Dog Surgery
    By Deuce N Ducks in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. pistol permit, criminal history record form? why cant i find online
    By repoman1 in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
  3. gun hunting as a minor
    By Flyboy in forum NJ Firearms ID Card & Gun Permits
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM
  4. New Cabelas Gift Card Record (Geese)
    By Dragthor in forum General Comments & Information
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM

Search tags for this page

can a disorderly conduct stop my from getting private detective license

can a misdemenor keep me from getting a gun in nj


can disorderly conduct stop me from having a gun permit


can i get a gun permit in nj with a misdemeanor


can i get my sora license if i have a record

can you be denied purchasing a gun for reckless driving and disorderly conduct
can you get a gun license in new jersey with a misdemeanor
sora and fid
still apply for gun license nj misdemeanor
what bars you from getting a gun nj
what would prevent you from getting a gun in nj
Click on a term to search for related topics.