NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm very new to all of this so please forgive any ignorance/cluelessness. So my grandfather is a retired police officer (been retired for 15+ years) and no longer wants his guns (3 handguns and a rifle). He says he doesn't have any paperwork for them nor does he have any type of permit/ID for them since they were all obtained when he was an officer.

From what I've been reading, it seems like I will definitely need to get an FID to take ownership of the guns, is that correct? Will I need a special permit for the handguns? Also, what does he (my grandfather) need to do since he doesn't have any FID or paperwork on the guns?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    you will need an FID card and two pistol permits. Aply for both at the same time with the police dept. in which you live.. You may be able to get a multiple handgun exectption becuase of the circumstance. The transactions may be private.

Member #
    The only way you can legally own them is with FID and pistol permits unless they are willed to you.
    HONOR THE FALLEN
    http://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

Over the years the United States has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Rack Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I think swampbuck meant 3 pistol permits. (I don't mean to be making trivial corrections I just didn't want you to apply for 2 then have to wait another 30-365+ days for the third.)

I do not believe your dad will need anything, it sounds like he purchased the guns prior to NJ's current laws. (don't take my word on this it is not legal advise and I recommend discussing with an attorney)

It does sound like you may qualify for an exemption to the 1 gun per month rule. (again consult an attorney)

If you are planning on becoming a gun owner I recommend the following:

1) purchasing 2 copies Evan Nappen's book. Keep one in your car and one at home.

2) Joining NJ2as, anjrpc, and the NRA (all of them if you can in that order if you must decide between them)

I would avoid (in case you were tempted) asking the police questions, many don't know the law and given your father doesn't have an FID he may find himself arrested and convicted of violating a law that doesn't exist .... its happened (albeit rarely .... Brian Aitken)

In case the town requests more than the standard forms NJ2as has prepared a helpful document

http://nj2as.com/SSforum?mode=MessageList&eid=842002

Ducati is keeping a post on this site about towns requiring extra forms and the turnaround times involved once you find out it would be helpful if you ad your post.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article66561.htm

Its worth mentioning that a basic membership to ANJRPC ($40 last I checked) includes free questions to attorneys

Welcome to the struggle of being a 2nd class citizen in NJ, and welcome to the joy of firearms ownership!

On a final note you may want to apply for 6 pistol permits, so you can purchase a few more once you own these (I didn't plan on owning any more either it doesn't hurt to have extras)

Oh and you may want to download and listen to the Gun for Hire radio podcasts, I find they help ease the burden and oppression of NJ gun laws

Member #
    Thanks everybody for all the useful information!

Member #
    My dad left me a Taurus 9mm, a Taurus Millenium Pro .380, and a .22 rifle. What the state doen't know won't hurt me.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    well now we all know lol
    Git-R-Done

Member #
    Long guns can be handed down and gifted to you. You dont need ANY paperwork to own a gun, you only need it to buy a gun.
    People for some crazy reason make these laws look worse than they really are. Yes their are some that are ridiculous, but why add to the headache?

Hand guns are a whole different story.

Member #
    FID is OK. But having to WAIT on permits to buy handguns is just plain stupid.
    The State Police say it is a pain in their ass, it is a pain in everybody's ass. The process needs to be scraped.

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I didnt know that long guns could be gifted, but that is good to know. Is there an area of reference in on the NJSP site that states that?

Family guns are best kept in the family and lets keep it at that...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors