NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal detecting

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I have been on you tube for the past 3 nights watching and watching and watching videos of what people find. I am quite interested in taking that up since summer is coming and there will be alot of time that I spend with my son. Even he gets bored with fishing after awhile and wants to do other stuff. I figure this will help us a tiny bit Financialy and may find some really interesting stuff.

I was wondering if any of you have a used one that I will be able to get? I have tons of places I can go, the best being my parents property in VA 5 acres near a few different skirmishes during the civil war, no telling what we will find there!

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I figure this will help us a tiny bit Financialy
    Between quality equipment and fuel prices, not a good investment. If you're doing it for fun Not for money. I know a few people who've made some really cool finds. I used one for 5 minutes and found a $200 bracelet my very first time. That was pure luck and not the norm!

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Between quality equipment and fuel prices, not a good investment
    I was planning on using it where I mainly go anyway, so it isn't going to hurt me as far as fuel costs any more than normal. I don't need anything super sophiticated right now just a little something, heck I don't even care if it don't discriminate. I seen some really neat things found that popped up as "tin" or "pop tops" It isn't all about the money, I like finding old relics as well.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I have one and use it alot...Finding arrows...Snare Support wires in hay fields after a catch. Loose change after an outdoor party. Mine is very sensitive. It has detected a 2" long piece of rusty barbed wire,over 10 inches deep !

Great pastime for kids too !

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    My buddy found Rev War sword relic not far from my house. Washington's troops camped here.

Good fun, hit the beaches after the crowds leave.

TS
    Clear your mind, breath, be sure and confident of your shot, commit to the shot, take your shot.
    In memory of Uncle Dick, 1st Marines, One of Korea's Chosin Few.
    TS Penn

Member #
    MD is a great and relaxing hobby. Relic hunting is fun, especially if you find a virgin spot that produces.
    Beach hunting is great in this area, being that the beaches are public.
    Even finding inexpensive jewelery is fun. Finding gold jewelery is both exciting and rewarding with gold being over $1400 and ounce.
    Just don't expect anything and enjoy it. Sooner or later the gold with be in your scoop, you'll never forget your first piece of gold.
    Shoot me a PM with your number and I can give you some advice about buying a machine that won't take forever to repay.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I bought my kid a $50 junior model. It picks up the rebar imbedded in my driveway and the first time she used it in the backyard she found a sheetrock screw buried 4 inches in clay. I cant wait to get out in the woods with it. If you see me in the classified section selling guns youll know Im upgrading.

Member #
    I have one I just used it to find someone's property stake for them!!

Member #
    I've been thinking of getting one also. While in the ground blind or standing right outside this past year I lost a custom made rear peep site on my Enfield. It was brass and will take days at the range to remake. Thought I might start by looking for that and then around the house. Dug a new basement for an addition about 10 years ago and found all kinds of stuff dating back to the mid 1800s.

Any suggestions on decent intro unit that won't break the bank ... $150 or less doable??? Any features considered a must have?

Member #
    I bought my dad one a few years ago, he loves it. Uses it when they are in FL in the winter. It was about $150, and my brother spent almost half that on really good headphones for him to pick up the waves that it sends off. He's found a lot of junk and a few pieces of gold jewlery. He brings it when we go to the OBX, hoping he will find Blackbeards treasure, no luck yet.

And ironically my husband sells metal detectors, well high end industrial leak/line location/metal detectors, and he has done/found some really cool things. He has helped people search battlefields and also helped locate grave markers in an old 1800's cemetary. Anyhow, he's the first to say that for hobby hunting, most of them will do the trick, you just need to be in the right spot at the right time.
    ‎"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." - Annie Oakley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors