NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    What Stage Are You Based on the posts on NJH id say most NJ hunters are in the Shooter stage

The 5 Stages of a Hunter
    January 29, 2009 by admin

Leave a comment
    Hunters change through the years. Factors used to determine “successful hunting” change as well for each hunter. A hunter’s age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of “success.” Many hunters may fit into one of the following five groups. In 1975-1980, groups of over 1,000 hunters in Wisconsin were studied, surveyed, and written about by Professors Robert Jackson and Robert Norton, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The results of their studies form a widely accepted theory of hunter behavior and development. Where are you now? Where would you like to be?

#1 SHOOTER STAGE
    The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

#2 LIMITING OUT STAGE
    A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

#3 TROPHY STAGE
    Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

#4 METHOD STAGE
    This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

#5 SPORTSMAN STAGE
    As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.
    >>>---> <---<<<

Member #
    im a combo trophy/sportsmen stage

Member #
    " There is truth in your words "

Member #
    Im #3 and #5 at this point. Just a few years ago I would shoot any Buck that walked by. Since ive killed 3 P&Y Bucks & 1 Booner( In Illinois) Ive changed my outlook on hunting Deer.I like big Racks. Ill kill Does for meat. I get more satisfaction out of just being in the woods trying to outsmart a Mature Buck. Anyone can kill a Deer but a Mature Buck or Doe is a challenge. ( At least to me)
    >>>---> <---<<<

Member #

Member #
    Im #3 and #5 at this point. Just a few years ago I would shoot any Buck that walked by. Since ive killed 3 P&Y Bucks & 1 Booner( In Illinois) Ive changed my outlook on hunting Deer.I like big Racks. Ill kill Does for meat. I get more satisfaction out of just being in the woods trying to outsmart a Mature Buck. Anyone can kill a Deer but a Mature Buck or Doe is a challenge. ( At least to me)
    Ditto. Excapt for killing the 3 P&Y and the booner. I just killed the does.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    WOW, I read them all and until this season I didnt realize that I clearly have a sickness I would say #3 and #5 but I believe next to my family, this season hunting a particular buck has consumed every single fiber of myself. I was completely obsessed and would have only been happy taking my buck with my bow. Unfortunately because of the obsession that it became it wasnt all that enjoyable hunting this season. Looking back now I can say that, but while I was chasing my buck no one could tal to me. So I would have to say #4 I guess with some shame for letting myself get so engulfed with this particular buck that I never even got a shot off at.

Guess I have to chill out a bit next season and be happy seeing deer again like I used to instead of obsessing over a single buck
    Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more. All values must be won by contest, and after they have been won, they must be defended.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    There should be a number 6.

Educator:

Hunter who's feels the desire to share how much more rewarding the challange of the hunt becomes when you reach the sportsman stage with other hunters who have not reached that stage.
    Sometimes seeming pushy or pompass at times as he has no tolerance for unneeded mistakes.
    Doesnt want other hunters to have to travel as long a road to get to the sportsman stage where more is learned everyday out there as the only pressure is about having fun enjoying the outdoors.

Feeling that while in many parts of life its making and correcting mistakes that makes a more solid base to learn from, that hunting isnt one of those.
    Wishing HE had listened to a sportsman when he started and had MANY more years to be hunting the quality experiance we can truelly have out there.
    Being able to see and pick the right pupil to show to other hunters having the same or more time in the woods as that pupil that is not brought on by mistakes but by doing it right.

Knowing when you listen to hunters who have not reached the sportman stage that the mistakes they are making can be easily addressed in a way they can learn more quickly, since you can explain better the errors, shortening the learning curve, and seeing the sparkle in their eye when they start to get it.

I have been fortunate to reach that spot, and have a few, not following but really running through my footsteps. And the satisfaction that it is bringing me is well beyond any deer I have ever harvested.
    Now every day out is spent making sure the teacher never slows down LOL

Capt.Dan Bias
    Reelmusic Sportfishing
    (908)752-1490

reelmusicsportfishing@yahoo.com

www.njfishingcharters.net

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Combo of 3, 4 & 5 and if H4reel had his way, I'd be a little of 6 too.

this season hunting a particular buck has consumed every single fiber of myself
    Same with me jeff.

Member #
    Stage 4
    Hoyt Spyder 30 70#
    Grim Reaper 1 3/4 RT

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors