NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    HARRISBURG - November 29, 2010 -- The Pennsylvania Game Commission is investigating a reported fatal shooting on the first day of deer rifle season in southwestern Pennsylvania.

Tom Fazi, the commission's information and education supervisor for southwestern Pennsylvania, says he has no details but confirms that a game officer has been summoned to Cairnbrook, about 70 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

Fazi says 911 dispatchers have received a call that someone was shot in the head in a hunting-related incident. The incident was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Monday.

Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller also says he's been summoned to the area, but has no details to release.

A Somerset County dispatcher confirms that a fatal shooting has been reported, but says no other details are available.

Hunting season underway

The Pennsylvania Game Commission says about 750,000 hunters will be out Monday. The two-week general deer season runs through December 11.

Game Commission Executive Director Carl Roe says deer season is the state's top way to manage its population of whitetail deer. Roe says deer season also has a profound effect on the state's economy, mostly benefiting local businesses.

Eight of the state's wildlife management units in central and northeastern Pennsylvania are open for bucks-only hunting for the first five days. The rest of the state is open for hunting bucks and does.

Hunters took just under 309,000 deer last year, the lowest total since 1987.

(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    CAIRNBROOK, Pa. - November 29, 2010 -- The Pennsylvania Game Commission says a shooting initially reported as a hunting-related accident in southwestern Pennsylvania is now being investigated as a possible suicide.

Police in Shade Township, Somerset County, are not answering their phone Monday. But Tom Fazi, the commission's information and education supervisor for southwestern Pennsylvania, says a game officer has reported back from the scene that township police believe the incident was a suicide.

Fazi says a game officer responded after 911 dispatchers relayed a call that someone was shot in the head in a hunting-related incident. The incident was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Monday.

Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller also says he's been summoned to the area, but has no details to release.

Hunting season underway

The Pennsylvania Game Commission says about 750,000 hunters will be out Monday. The two-week general deer season runs through December 11.

Game Commission Executive Director Carl Roe says deer season is the state's top way to manage its population of whitetail deer. Roe says deer season also has a profound effect on the state's economy, mostly benefiting local businesses.

Eight of the state's wildlife management units in central and northeastern Pennsylvania are open for bucks-only hunting for the first five days. The rest of the state is open for hunting bucks and does.

Hunters took just under 309,000 deer last year, the lowest total since 1987.

MTH
    Member #
    Sad to hear-If its a head shot it is likley a self inflicted injury (either accidental or on purpose) still very sad to hear
    Lord make me fast and accurate,
    May my draw be smooth and unseen
    Let my aim be straight and my shot true,

Grant me the skill to make the shots I can,
    The restraint to avoid those I can't,
    And the wisdom to know the difference,

So that I may be blessed with the bounty you provide

Amen
    The NJH Bow Hunters Prayer

Member #
    very sad either way!

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    If it was not self inflicted what ever happened to one of the 1st things they teach you in Hunter-Ed "know your target and beyond?" Nowadays you can freaking take your hunting test online and also train or the test online also, then just pass the shooting part and you will have a hunting license! I believe the state needs to go back to classroom training and lectures so future hunters learn the correct way and not the I cheated my way through the course and took 2 min to take the test which leads to accidents and other stuff that is either illegal or dangerous! I had 2 encounters with being shot one I was actually shot from about 30yrds away about 10yrs ago during pheasant season luckily the guy who shot me was using low brass 7 shot and was a bit away from me and I had enough jackets on to absorb the shot but it still hurt was like sticking your hand out a car window doing 65mph in an ice storm and the 2nd time would have been life threatening if I was actually hit there was a few guys shooting riles at an illegal shooting range that was setup o the powerlines in Berkshire Valley off rt 15 in jefferson and what happened was I heard the shot then something whiz by my face like 2 ft away and hit the tree by me I went up to the tree and the bullet was lodged in it I took my knife out pried it from the tree and made my way to the range where me and my father about flipped out on these kids and then called the CO same with the birdshot that I was shot at in whittingham I freaked out on the guy for freaking lifting his gun and shooting at a pheasant that was 3ft off the ground and inbetween us he clearly saw me standing where I was just did not care as long as he got a shot at that bird knowing his target and beyond did not even come across his mind! He was issued a summons by the CO.! Careful out there my ellow hunters the Newbies are not trained as well as us hunters who have been hunting for 20yrs or more!
    Member UBNJ

Weapons of Choice
    Bow - PSE FireStorm Lite (sold)
    Future Xbow owner
    Shotgun - Remington 1187

Member #
    [sad]

Member #
    probably a good idea to wait until all the facts come out before we speculate on how this happened. Here's a link to an article about the incident:

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...a774015710.txt

TJC
    Member #
    Well it's sad either way but I hope it's a suicide and not a hunting accident. Gives less "ammo" to the anti hunting people.
    "A bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work"

MTH
    Member #
    I'm not sugesting suicide. It just seems that lots of shooting accidents result in a head shot or a foot shot-not sure why, but from my experience, it seems those are the most common areas of the body struck by an accidental discharge-of course that does not account for actual weapon malfunction which usually injures the face and hands
    Lord make me fast and accurate,
    May my draw be smooth and unseen
    Let my aim be straight and my shot true,

Grant me the skill to make the shots I can,
    The restraint to avoid those I can't,
    And the wisdom to know the difference,

So that I may be blessed with the bounty you provide

Amen
    The NJH Bow Hunters Prayer

Member #
    Strange, suspicious but ultimately a sad story:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=7815340
    If only Jack O'Connor had written about the .270's effectiveness on Zombies, he might be known today as a decent gun scribe, and that cartridge might enjoy more widespread use...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors