Deer Are a Danger To Drivers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    For most of the year, deer and other critters have the woods of Berks County pretty much to themselves.

In autumn, bow and small game hunters enter, putting deer on the run.

Because this is mating season for deer, they are also moving to find mates.

That mobility is bad news for motorists, who are seeing more deer crossing roadways and being struck by vehicles.

"Now is the worst time of year for deer on the roads," said Cheryl Trewella, information and education supervisor for the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

Almost 50 percent of all auto accidents involving deer occur in October and November, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

The regular firearms season for deer starts Nov. 29, but by then the deer are no longer mating, so they're not moving as much as they now are, she said.

Deer are most active just before sunrise and before sunset, so that's when motorists should be most careful, she said.

"I saw one (dead deer) on the bypass on my way in to work this morning," Exeter Township police Chief Christopher L. Neidert said.

And it's not just rural roads they're crossing, Trewella warned.

"There are deer all over, even in more populated areas, so it's important to slow down," she said.

Cpl. William Clark of the Bethel Township Police Department knows just how difficult it can be to avoid a deer: He struck three deer within about 24 hours a few years ago.

Clark hit the first two almost simultaneously on Schubert Road in Bethel Township, and the next evening hit another while driving home on Route 443 in Friedensburg, Schuylkill County.

He wasn't hurt in either crash, but pointed out that deer can be dangerous for drivers.

"People actually get killed swerving to miss deer," he said.

If you hit a deer you should not go near the animal but should notify police, said PennDOT spokesman Ronald J. Young Jr.

On state roads, PennDOT or one of its contractors will remove the carcass. The Game Commission will also remove carcasses, Young said.

Another important safety tip Young shared was that deer tend to travel in small groups.

"If you see a deer cross the road in front of you, there is a pretty good chance there are one or more preparing to cross the road behind it," he said.

Neidert said he has been told that in addition to moving more at night, deer will be even more active on clear moonlit nights than on foggy, overcast nights

Member #
    all the reason our licenses shouldnt cost what they do. we do the work for the state in keeping the numbers down and keeping the auto insurance people happy. for instance the regular archery season ends this friday.some zones barely get a couple weeks in the season and this screwed up state cant give you til the 31st at least which would give the working people an extra 2 days to hunt . its bullshite. its made so you need to get the extended permit. the regular season years ago always went to the first week of november. then most would small game hunt til the gun season for deer.then the whole buck permit thing sucks. i pay too much. why cant i carry over and be allowed to take a buck in extended archery if i didnt take one during the regular season? but i can shoot 2 during the shotgun week. its time for a change.

Member #
    yea that is so true. why cant they end it on the last day of the month

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    what paper or site is this from?

and whats with this out of place statement in the article?

Member #
    yeah hunters are the issue thats why most deer are hit at night..didnt know we had a night season
    To fish or not to fish...what a stupid question

state record LMB here I come

http://alluringbaits.com/?q=affiliate/Fishgod82

Member #

Because this is mating season for deer, they are also moving to find mates.

I absolutely hate that first line when used alone like the anti's do yea I know we do put them on the run,or at least in hiding but to blame it solely on us is crazy. At least PA has the sense to state that it is also the rut that is causing it.

Member #
    yeah hunters are the issue thats why most deer are hit at night..didnt know we had a night season
    so hunting pressure DON'T cause deer to go nocternal? yea we are part of it but not all of it.

Member #
    Thanks to a doe I have to buy a new car!

Member #
    I almost got a six pointer last night with my truck. Very close.
    FBO
    Quakertown Recreation Club

Member #
    Maybe I should go out and buy a Plymouth Arrow! Do they still make them? Maybe call the garage a quiver too.
    "Semper Paratus"
    Vinnie319

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors