NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a .308 Remington 700 my Grandfather left me and have hunted in NY with it last year but didn't shoot a deer. I was using the Federal Fusion 165 grain ammo. I was told by a friend who works at a gun shop that I should shoot the 150 grain ammo. I know it may shoot a little faster and flatter but it has less energy--ft/lbs. Can some rifle hunters on here help me out? Which ammo or weight would suit me best? My shot range will be from 0-200 yards. Thanks.
    What makes a man a man? Is it his origins, the way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things but how he decides to end them.

Member PBA local#105
    Member UBNJ

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Remington 150 gr psp would work awesome
    Vengeance is a dish best served cold !! Killers' Pro Staff Hatred is the longest lasting love affair,life member UBNJ,life member NRA,life member whitetails unlimited,life member buckmasters

GVS
    Member #
    Not much difference between 165 and 150 gr in terms of trajectory, I would go with what you have or what shoots best. Most 308 hunters that use the rifle only for deer would use the 150gr, if you live in an area that you would hunt mule deer, elk and white tail then I would site in and use only 165 gr

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Remington 150 gr psp
    X2.
    No need for a heavier grain.
    I have a Rem .308 760 and it works well.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    150 grain is the standard. 165 grain boat tails are supposed to be more accurate and retain more energy down range. I don't know if you would really notice the difference.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    150 gr.
    I hear voices....and they don't like you.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I know it may shoot a little faster and flatter but it has less energy--ft/lbs.
    Leithal,

First thing that you need to consider to get a truly insightful answer is expected maximum shooting distance.

Unless you are poking way out there, you will have plenty of energy with either gr bullet.

Additionally, the bullet construction obviously plays a huge part too.

In an ideal world what you are looking for, (since we are discusing shooting trophy deer), is a relatively explosive bullet that is also capable of leaving an exit wound.

In many cases the ballistic tipped bullets would fit this bill, but not at longer distances in the .308.

So...If you expect you will be shooting inside of 150yds..I would go with the BT's...but if you want to be prepared for longer shots..I would go with the AB's, (Accubonds).

(But then again if you are shooting inside of 250yds, you won't see much difference between the trajectory of either bullet either way.)

JC

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Additionally, the bullet construction obviously plays a huge part too.
    That is right...bullet performance on impact and of course marksmansship are the key.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    So...If you expect you will be shooting inside of 150yds..I would go with the BT's...but if you want to be prepared for longer shots..I would go with the AB's, (Accubonds).
    Wouldn't it be the other way around?
    AB's for higher velocity impacts and BT's for longer range expansion at slower speeds.
    That was always my rule of thumb anyway.

Member #
    Go with 150's,165 and 180's are constructed to heavy for deer size game at 308 velocities. Accubonds and Partions are best IMO
    I'm going to be very busy in the afterlife, the list of people I'm going to haunt grows every day

I no longer need google, my wife knows everything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors