NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NJ Pocket Knife Laws (Non-Hunting) ?

Rack Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    How large a knife can you have in your pocket when you are NOT hunting, fishing, camping, etc. ?

Plain ol' pocket knife. I know gravity knives, etc are not legal.

I can't seem to find an answer to this at the state's web site. Its a concealed weapon. Must be a blade length regulation or something.

I see that it is not legal to sell to a minor a knife that has a blade longer than 5".

My teenage son was going to order a pocket knife from Cabelas, and I figured I should find some stuff out. Does anyone have Nappen's book?

Thanks
    Jim

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I'll check Title 2C for you.
    It isn't the catch or the kill that makes for a great outdoor experience but enjoying all that God has created for us.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    This is in reference to the sale itself.

2C:39-9.1. Sale of knives to minors; crime of the fourth degree; exceptions
    4.A person who sells any hunting, fishing, combat or survival knife having a blade length of five inches or more or an overall length of 10 inches or more to a person under 18 years of age commits a crime of the fourth degree; except that the establishment by a preponderance of the evidence of all of the following facts by a person making the sale shall constitute an affirmative defense to any prosecution therefor: a. that the purchaser falsely represented his age by producing a driver's license bearing a photograph of the licensee, or by producing a photographic identification card issued pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1980, c. 47 (C.39:3-29.3), or by producing a similar card purporting to be a valid identification card indicating that he was 18 years of age or older, and b. that the appearance of the purchaser was such that an ordinary prudent person would believe him to be 18 years of age or older, and c. that the sale was made in good faith relying upon the indicators of age listed in a. and b. above.

L.1987,c.228,s.4; amended 2003, c.175, s.2.
    It isn't the catch or the kill that makes for a great outdoor experience but enjoying all that God has created for us.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Here is a link to Title 2C. I don't see any size restrictions, just the prohibited types of knives.

NJ Title 2C

Member #
    IT'S NEW JERSEY it depends on which day of the week. A long time ago before Title 2-c I read that a knife concealed had to be 3" or less. Longer than 3" had to be visible.I don't know what it is now I carry a gun

Member #
    How large a knife can you have in your pocket when you are NOT hunting, fishing, camping, etc. ?
    Folding knives may be prohibited under two NJ laws: N.J.S. 2C:39-5d/or N.J.S.2C:39-3e.
    NJS 2C:39-5d prohibits possession of any other weapon "under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have"
    NJS 2C:39-3e. Specially prohibits gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, kirks, stilettos, razor. blades imbedded in wood and ballistic knives, without any explainable lawful purpose.

How large a knife can you have
    NJ does not have blade lenght restrictions on knives other than on sales to minors.

A folding knife (other than gravity knife, dagger, etc., etc., may be legally possessed in NJ if it is not possessed "under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have "this phrase is actually an element of the offense which the State has the burden of proving. In other words, for a person to be found guilty of violating NJS 2C:39-5d., the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that person possessed the folding knife, for an unlawful purpose or while in the act of commiting a crime.
    This are quotes from Nappen II
    "Dont complain about your problems. There is always someone worst off then you."

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    The dopey-est thing about NJ knife laws is that it is illegal to have on your person a switch blade. That is a knife that opens with a spring loaded blade and a push button. My guess is that this is a throw back to the 1950's when this type of knife was associated with juvenile deliquency. The switch blade is no more of a lethal weapon that any other knife of the same size.

Rack Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    the catch all to 2C is possessing weapons for unlawful purposes. even if you legally possess an item such as a hunting knife, the surrounding circumstances can convert that lawful possession into an unlawful one depending on the totality of the circumstances. in fact, the item does not even have to be a weapon initially to be charged with unlawful weapons possession. an example would be joe who is someone fishing on a crowded trout stream on opening day when john casts over his line and causes him to lose a fish. joe then whacks john across the face with his pole and causes john's eye to swell shut. joe would be arrested for unlawful posession of a weapon, the fishing pole, and for aggravated assault for causing the temporary loss to one of john's senses. the act of hitting someone with a non weapon will convert that item into a weapon

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I think that is a grey area.

Rack Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    no gray, just black and white

NJSA 2C:12-1b.(8) reads: attempts to cause or causes SIGNIFICANT bodily injury which is defined under NJSA 2C:11-1d. as including bodily injury which creates the temporarily loss of any of the five senses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors