NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    On youth day my son put 7 pellets within 18 inches of each other on a broadside shot at 30 yards. He used my 1100/full choke with 00 shot. The six pointer dropped where he was hit. It was beautiful I tell ya!
    I hunt and fish like my Father taught me.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Every gun is different. You must try your shells through a few chokes to find out.
    One that you should try is the Paternmaster extended choke tube, which has a reputation for extremely tight 00 buck patterns.
    http://patternmaster.com/index.php

Write-up from the Cabelas' website:

"The patented construction of this incredible choke slows the wad and ensures the tightest, most consistent patterns we've ever seen. Our tests with large steel shot and buckshot convinced us that these tubes outperform every other tube on the market. Consistent patterns of 100% in 20" at 40 yards with 3" mag. 00 buck is the kind of performance we experienced. These chokes use a combination of controlled constriction, internal lugs and venting to achieve superior pattern control. The controlled constriction takes place in the beginning two-thirds of the choke tube. The internal lugs then engage the wad as it passes through the choke - slowing down the wad - the ports (venting) allow the gasses to escape without blowing the shot cup through the shot pattern. The result is an enhanced shot retention in the center of the pattern. Actual constriction of the choke tube is between modified and improved modified."
    "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

TJC
    Member #
    Everyone is talking about trying different chokes. Don't forget to try different buckshot.

It is like slugs in a slug gun. Some guns like certain buckshot compared to others.

I would try Remington, Federal and Winchester OOB out of Mod first then Full. If you have an IM try that.

Put a 24"x24" piece of cardboard up at 40-45yds. See how many pellets you get from each in the cardboard. That will give you a good idea.

Years ago when I worked at an old time sport shop we used the bottom of clay bird target boxes at 40yds to pattern.
    My old Browning A5 would keep 13 out of 15 in that box at 40yds. But it had to be Winchester OOB. Remington shot terrible.
    Fast forward to today and my 11-87 will shoot Rem, Fed and Win OOB equally well but with a Mod choke.
    The Full is too tight and throws patterns that are wider due to pellet disforming etc.
    "A bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work"

Member #
    I use full choke with Winchester 3" 000buck and drop deer from 75yrds.

Good luck

Member #
    use slugs...
    LET THEM GO,SO THEY WILL GROW...4.5+ 130"plus
    "THE ONLY BUCKS I TAKE, GO ON THE WALL"
    ."A TROPHY IS ONLY A TROPHY IF ITS EARNED"
    ps..The crossbow is not archery equipment.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    shooting modified choke on a mossberg 500, patternmaster on a browning gold and full choke on an ithaca 37

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    The best choke for buckshot is improved cyl and is effective out to 40yds. Anything tighter than that the pellets bounce off each other creating an irradic pattern. Shooting buckshot at a deer that is out of range in unethical. The pattern is so dispersed that the likelyhood of a non lethal hit or a hit that the deer will go very far without a blood trail is high.

A Patternmaster choke is an exception. With that the pattern stays uniform and tight enough that longer shots can be taken

Member #
    Agree w/ others you have to see what YOUR gun likes. I've always had good success w/ winchester ammo.

I had the patternmaster choke tube. I say this w/ hesitation...it was TOO TIGHT. I was using 1 buck 3" and hit a 90lb doe in the shoulder @ 35 yards.
    That half of the deer was ruined. Probably the best choke out there. Results are devestating.
    My fathers old stevens 12 SxS hates 00buck. It LOVES winchester plated 2 3/4" 1 buck. Has taken deer to 40 yards w/ no problems.

Evrey gun is different.

Nick

Member #
    I use full choke with Winchester 3" 000buck and drop deer from 75yrds.
    That's really pushing it sounds a little lame to me. I don't shoot that far w/ my 10 gauge 3 1/2" w/ oo buck, full choke 30" barrell.

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    use slugs...
    I agree!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors