New Jersey Hunters banner

Red Oak Acorns vs. White Oak Acorns – Quiz

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  BestNJBirdDogs 
#1 ·
When a squirrel finds a red oak acorn it just buries it. When a squirrel finds a white oak acorn it takes a small bite out of the tip before it buries it. Why?

#4 ·
On another note, When my father built his house and garage, Before the cement was poured for the garage he watched the squirrels burying acorns in the blue stone, The coming winter after the floor was poured and the framing wasn't in. He saw the squirrel scratching at the concrete where he buried the nut,. Mind you the concrete was over 8". Good memory those critters have.

#6 ·
When a squirrel finds a red oak acorn it just buries it. When a squirrel finds a white oak acorn it takes a small bite out of the tip before it buries it. Why?
I'm going to say because the red oak acorns need 2 seasons to germinate, but white oak acorns germinate that same year. If the squirrel is saving freshly fallen acorns for the winter the red acorn will stay ripe through the winter until it's time to eat them, while the white acorn will start germinating before the winter and be no good to eat.

#15 ·
Animals are the intelligent ones not us, we just think we are.

My garden last year I had four twelve foot rows of corn, I have never had corn produce before at my house. Last year, I had it all come in. I checked the corn and it was still clear liquid in the kernels, I pulled two and they were too early. I needed to wait ONE WEEK. Towards the end of that week. I look out the window and the turkeys are all through it and the friggin squirrels are jumping up and ripping the ears right off and running away with them.

How did they now they were ready????

My Strawberries, I go out to check them and they were just not ready, but I see little bites out of the tops of some of them. So I give myself the now famous one more week.
I go out at the end of the week and there are turkey tracks all over and EVERY berry is gone, this was done over a period of a day and a half.

How did they know the berries were ready to eat????

Animals are unbelievable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.