New Jersey Hunters banner

anyone ever use a 5hp Briggs & Stratton OB motor ? ? ?

15K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  drobphilly 
#1 ·
I was thinking of picking one up for use at Round Valley and other restricted lakes and as a light weight spear kicker for my 14" deep V boat.
Just wondering if it would have enough horse power in it to push this heavy of a boat around that is fully gear with a couple guys in it ?

I like that it is small and light weight and I can actually just throw it on right next to my 25 mercury for restricted lakes, if I go with a bigger motor like a 9.9 I would more then likely need to swap them out every time I want to use the 25 on it. so that's why I'm thinking of just going with a nice little set up like the B&S .

What Do you think, any experience good or bad with this little air cooled 4 stroke motor ?

#3 ·
Yeah right [eyeroll] like I would hold my breath on that clown really actually selling anything [confusedagain]

But on a serious note I am going to look at one this morning and may pick it up for myself I figure at least it is a good little back up and trolling motor, just concerned if it is strong enough to push a fully loaded 14" boat without burning it out in a trip or two [confused]

Here is a pic of the boat I was thinking of using it on.

#5 ·
I use a 6 hp power now but it is a johnson ,I used it w/ 2 big guys on a 14 ' and we moved well on spruce run ,I use it on my 12 footer for my turtle trapping and we fly w/ 2 men and 200 lbs of turtles in the boat .As for brigs ,I never saw one on the water so I couldnt tell you,sorry

#6 ·
Looks like a decent motor but it is very thick girth wise (14" wide) since the exhaust is vented at the motor and not under water like most O.B.motors, so I would think it has got to sound like a freaken lawn mower on the water [confused]
It seems like the same set up as you would find on a mower or snow blower motor, not knocking it as it may be a great set up, just seems odd for a Out board, if anyone has ever used one of these some feed back would be great.

I'll be meeting the guy selling it again this afternoon so I can actually hear it run, before anything I wanted to measure to make sure as thick as it is that it would even fit next to my 25 with out bumping into it every time I make a sharp turn.

Here is what I found on it so far.

they seem to run price wise around $800 to $1000 brand new, the one I'm looking at is a 2003 that was only used a few time at Round valley and spruce run on a 12' row boat, the exhaust isn't even discolored yet and the guys says it isn't even broke in so it's basically in brand new condition. and BELIEVE ME the price is RIGHT ;)
The motor still looks like brand new, haven't heard it run as the guy wants to get fresh gas for it and I wanted to make sure it would fit and try and get some feed back before I bought it anyway.

Briggs & Stratton 5 hp, 4 Cycle Outboard

5 hp Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke outboard boat motor.
Plows through the shallows. Takes on the muck. Works in the weeds. Whether you hunt or fish, this inexpensive air-cooled 5 hp outboard from Briggs & Stratton will take you to places liquid-cooled outboards could only hope. A trusted workhorse that never says "quit"- for nearly HALF the price.
Turn ’er loose...a road less traveled is waiting for you.

* Reliable Briggs & Stratton air cooled engine is designed for motoring or trolling through muddy, shallow locations.
* Great for hunters or shallow water fisherman who run-a-ground or kick up mud in remote, normally restricted/protected areas
* Fully planes a 9 ft inflatable, trolls smooth, and runs quietly
* Forward, neutral and reverse as well as a twist grip throttle
* 5 hp 4 Stroke engine means no need to mix oil and gas.
* Small outboard weighing only 56lbs and is very easy to carry providing handles and grip bars.
* Includes a gas tank, hose, manual, engine oil, and fuel stabilizer.

FAQs

1. Is the Briggs & Stratton Outboard engineered and built as rugged and dependable as Briggs & Stratton’s other engines?

Yes. You’re getting over 90 years of engine-building experience and expertise behind our new Outboard. Our design team included experienced marine engineers who performed exhaustive testing on the Outboard components to ensure trouble-free operation.

2. How does the Briggs & Stratton 5HP 4-cycle OHV Outboard compare to other 5HP outboards?

The Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard offers everything that’s important - dependability, easy to start, portability, fuel-efficiency and safety features - at a more affordable price than other leading outboards.

3. What kind of warranty comes with the Outboard?

In the unlikely event of a defect in material or workmanship of your Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard, you have the peace of mind of a two-year limited warranty.

4. What if I need service or have a warranty claim?

Getting your Outboard serviced is easy. Simply look in the Yellow Pages phone directory under Engines, Gasoline or Gasoline Engines for the nearest Briggs & Stratton authorized service dealer, or search our Dealer Locator on this site.

5. Does the Outboard start easily and consistently?

Yes. Thanks to Briggs & Stratton’s Magnetron electronic ignition and 4-cycle OHV engine design, the Outboard is easy to start. It comes with an easy-to-follow instruction card with photographs that take you step-by-step through the starting process.

6. Do I have to mix oil in the gas tank?

No. The Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard’s 4-cycle design eliminates the need to mix oil with the gasoline. The 4-cycle design also results in better fuel economy and less pollution.

7. What size boat is for the Briggs & Stratton Outboard?

The Outboard is recommended for boats with a transom height of 15". To promote proper fit and safe operation, please refer to your boat’s NMMA certification plate.

8. Is the Outboard portable?

Yes. The Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard weighs only 56 lbs. and features a carrying handle to make transporting convenient and easy.

9. Does the Outboard meet all environmental regulations?

Yes. The efficient Briggs & Stratton 5HP, 4-cycle OHV Outboard meets the EPA’s 2006 emissions standards as well as CARB’s emission standards.

10. Can I use my Outboard in salt and brackish water?

The Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard is designed for freshwater use. Salt and brackish water are extremely corrosive and can lead to premature failure of components. Such failures are not covered under the Briggs & Stratton limited warranty.

11. Does the safety lanyard have to be attached to operate the Outboard?

While the safety lanyard does not have to be attached to use the outboard, Briggs & Stratton strongly recommends attaching it before Operation. It is a quick and easy way to prevent injury.

#7 ·
I use a 6 hp power now but it is a johnson
I have a buddy with one that runs like new, I used it a few times on my 12' that is a GREAT little Motor [up][up]

I'm working on getting him to sell it to me since he doesn't use it since he sold his shore house, in the mean time I need something so I can get a trip to R.V going :D
I NEED TO FISH ! ! !

#8 ·
No one has ever used one of these B&S out board motor [confused]

#9 ·
i have seen them on boats before...im sure it will push your boat around id say prob around 5mph...i dont know how they hold up..like you said your cooncern for burnign it out...im pretty sure i have seen them on pontoons(like rafts not a big pontoon boat)..personally i would look around a little bit for an older johnson/mercury/ or evinrude

#10 ·
Passed on buying the 5 hp. B&S motor, My buddy called me back earlier and looks like we have a deal for his Johnson 6 hp so I'll pick it next week run it up to Franks in Wanaque and have it tuned up, oil changed, and ready for Round Valley [up] CAN'T WAIT ! :D

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.