New Jersey Hunters banner

When do acorns begin to fall?

12K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  UltraMag77 
#1 ·
I'm sitting in a tin trailer at work and I keep hearing acorns hit the roof. Is this early?

#3 ·
The acorn crops have been great the last few years and last year they started dropping early as well so could be the beginning of them falling if I remember correctly I believe they were coming down pretty heavy by the second week of September [confusedagain]

#7 ·
Any info on teh crop this year? Trees by me seem to be empty

#11 ·
If there is a good mast crop they will start to fall in mid-July. A decent crop should have them falling in August then September. Some individual trees have different timeing and in general- chestnut and whites are early and reds and blacks come later.

Hey GG - you down with rock oak hollow??

#14 ·
Last year we had a record acorn crop both in size and quantity. Based on the initial acorns hitting my driveway it looks a disaster this year. We had plenty of rain and I have several oaks that benefit from irrigation yet the initial droppings are puny, maybe 1/8" in size. Really not edible, not developed. Last year they were huge and there are still some around from that crop but it looks bleak for this year. Recent storms knocked some down and they are really small:( [down]

#15 ·
When fall starts[rofl] j/k it depends where you live in the state. Where do yo ulive.

#16 ·
Look for spots in the woods with lots of last years shells on the ground and hunt there.

#17 ·
Acorn shells not shotgun shells[rofl]

#19 ·
"No acorns Less deer and turkey" I agree 100 percent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.