Appalachian trail cam pictures
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1190ftalt

Thread: Appalachian trail cam pictures

Member #

Appalachian trail cam pictures

Well been getting a lot of bobcat on my cameras so went glassing down the side of the cliffs looking for possible dens to see if I could get some good pictures, found 2 posdible holes, this one which is about 3 ft tall and 4 ft wide and I saw small piles of bones on different spots around the opening, so I'm figuring bobcat . Well I find a stick about 8ft long and take my flashlight out of my backpack and tape it to the end of the stick with electrical tape that I always carry ( many good uses hunting ) stick in the hole and this cave goes back about 15 ft and is about 6 ft high ! That's as far as I can see then it goes around a bend, I could walk in there so now I'm watching for eyeballs looking at me but luckily I don't see any! Also in the cave is lots of leaves, there's no trees here, I mounted my camera on a dead tree in a very precarious situation, the only way leaves could of got in there is a bear dragging them in so pretty sure winter bear den. Figure the bones were from a bobcat eating something on side of cliff, only had camera here for 2 weeks, no bobcat, bunch black tail fox and pretty sure baby black buzzards, not turkey buzzards they have red neck and don't think they come much further north then the pine barrens ( south jersey )! Well the other camera that I screwed into a tree was to high, totally missed the possible den entrance, hate when that happens ! One thing I learned is after you set up a camera for the first time send a picture to your phone this way next time you go to that camera you can make the necessary adjustments. ! Going to put up 2 more cameras this weekend on possible bobcat dens, think I'm becoming more of a Name:  image.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  123.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  156.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  152.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  137.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  114.2 KBhiker then a hunter , all good !
    Treestandman likes this.

Member #
    Nice!

Definitely Black Vulture.
    Turkey Vulture range extends way beyond NJ al the way to Canada and they are common in all part of NJ. Black Vulture's Northern limit is North Jersey but they are not as common. The farm I hunt in Hunterdon is loaded with them and when I hunted Warren they were there as well. I have never seen a Black Vulture in Northern Monmouth Co.

Hope you get your cat!

I am deplorable

Member #
    You got a great pastime going on there Joe, I'll bet it won't be long until you capture some honest to God proof about Mountain Lions on one of your cameras. I'm serious.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
    You got a great pastime going on there Joe, I'll bet it won't be long until you capture some honest to God proof about Mountain Lions on one of your cameras. I'm serious.

Not a chance but it would be cool

I am deplorable

Member #
    NIce pics, I have seen those black ones around here quite a bit. Zone 5. I don't remember seeing them years ago.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    Nice!

Definitely Black Vulture.
    Turkey Vulture range extends way beyond NJ al the way to Canada and they are common in all part of NJ. Black Vulture's Northern limit is North Jersey but they are not as common. The farm I hunt in Hunterdon is loaded with them and when I hunted Warren they were there as well. I have never seen a Black Vulture in Northern Monmouth Co.

Hope you get your cat!
    when I saw the piles of bones around the entrance to the bear den I figured bobcat but I guess the buzzards are picking up road kill and flying them up on the moutain and landing in the cliffs, didn't think the buzzards flew with the road kill, red tail feather hawk do but don't have them in the pictures, will see this weekend !

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
    Pretty sure a moutain lion will get hit by a car if they ever make it to NJ, have 9 cameras on the moutain year round, till I see a deer carcass 20 ft up in a tree not to worried , although sometimes when I'm walking up the mountain 4 in the morning going to my tree stand I will occasionally shine my head lamp up into the trees, pitch black , alone yea sometimes I think about it !

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1190ftalt View Post
    when I saw the piles of bones around the entrance to the bear den I figured bobcat but I guess the buzzards are picking up road kill and flying them up on the moutain and landing in the cliffs, didn't think the buzzards flew with the road kill, red tail feather hawk do but don't have them in the pictures, will see this weekend !
    I have never seen a vulture fly with anything unless it was in his belly. Not sure if that happens but I don't thinks so. You have a fox in the pick so my guess is whatever fox left behind attracted the vulture.

I am deplorable

Member #
    Lots of locals have seen them Joe, I haven't, and I live in the woods.

Sponsors