House Fire/ Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: House Fire/ Question

Member #

House Fire/ Question

Hey all, a few days ago around 2 in the morning our faithful hound dog started baying, a fire started in our garage , i acted as fast as possible using a garden house could not stop it. My wife, dog and myself made it out and several fire departments responded and put the fire out. The garage is a total loss and due to the water damage its still up in the air if the house is salvageable. I lost a great deal of my hunting equipment that was in the garage but its only material items and can be replaced just thanking god no one was hurt. My question is about my taxidermy. Full body fox mount, about a dozen shoulder mounts, dozens of tanned fox , yote and coon pelts and my grandfathers largemouth bass mount. I have sprayed all the pelts with dead down wind and hung outside, the smell is almost completely gone. My big question is how should clean the shoulder mounts and antlers? I have been airing them out outside since the fire but have not attemtped to clean yet because im afraid of ruiming them. The bass mount is a skin mount and needs to be cleaned off as well. No fire damage to any of them just smoke and water. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    You can do a lot more for the environment by carrying a rifle then carrying a sign.

[B]Don't Spread My Wealth, Spread My Work Ethic

Member #
    im very sorry to hear of this. glad you guys are okay.
    Hunting the Wild's of New Jersey!

Member #
    Wow dave, glad all of you are OK! That must've been a scary feeling and a very sad one at that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Glad to hear everyone is OK.

I recommend talking to your taxidermist, no one better to ask I can think of.
    Jakesbeard likes this.

Member #
    Thanks guys. Yes its the worst feeling in the world. Especially feeling so helpless after my attempt to stop it failed. Its certainly been a challenging week so far. I just keep telling myself that everything can be rebuilt, fixed or replaced and no one was hurt.
    You can do a lot more for the environment by carrying a rifle then carrying a sign.

Member #
    What started the fire, if you don't mind saying.

At my dogs house on the 12th floor of the Acme building or on Rt. 78.
    Member #
    When our house burned DOWN there was no question about saving any of my heads and the like it was all gone so we got lists from the guys who did the work so I am no help there but I will pass this on to you its advice we got.
    Read your policy and UNDERSTAND what you have been paying for that's number one.
    Number two expect all that has been written down and paid for and expect nothing that has not been both written down and paid for in your policy.
    Like it or not your insurance company is now your business partner do not lie to them or threaten them with a lawyer ( even if you are talking to one about them).
    There is a lot more if you want to hear more about our experience let me know via PM.
    Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
    Benjamin Franklin

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
    Benjamin Franklin

I am tired of the lies and crap, YOU by your own actions must make your own life matter!

Member #
    Sorry to hear. I have am abundance of gear willing to loan to u if needed. Pm me if interested.

Member #
    Thanks guys. Insurance company has been great. Looks like mounts were covered and can be professionally cleabed by a taxi and insurance is covering it .

Member #
    Sorry that happened to you thank god everyone is ok and insurance has been good. If you need any stands, camo or a bow or anything let me know I Would be more than happy to help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors