What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)?

Member #

Lightbulb What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)?

Hi All,

Finally I got my hunter course done and persuade my GF hunting is not just killing(Whofff....). And start preparing for fall bow season.

Question comes. I do not have any friend who has lots of hunting experience. And I don't even see tree stand before I tried to buy one. (The model I am planning to buy is Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree stand)
    What do you guys do when you first time get a tree stand for using it? I do saw a lot of video for tree stand fault. That's super awful...

Please give a new hunter a basic idea what should I do before the season start.

Or if you are a experienced hunter and use climber tree stand a lot. I will be very grateful if you can give me a introduce give me some tips. BTW I am located in the hudson county.

All the best hunters!

Member #
    as a new hunter maybe get some hunt time under yur belt before climbing. a ground blind or ladder stand might be a easier go. whatever you decide make sure you read all the instructions for the stand you purchase and follow the safety rules. you tube is loaded with info but i woulod try to find others in your area and ask lottsa questions. be safe!

Member #
    Practice with it as much as possible. And I wouldn't climb in the dark til you get some experience
    deadeye and slayer1962 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Practice with it first. And also get in the habit of tying both the top and bottom portions of the stand together with a rope or ratchet. That is in case you are climbing and the bottom falls from out under you. You can try to fix it if you have the tied together. If not you could be SOL.

Have fun and be safe. Going up and getting down are the most dangerous parts.

Be aware of what you're doing before doing it.

Hunterdon county NJ / Brown county Illinois
    Member #
    Two Most important things is to be sure to wear a safety harness and slide it up the tree as you go up, and as someone else mentioned, you must tie the top and bottom together. Be sure to have someone with you spotting you while you practice. Always have a knife and cell phone in an easily accesible pocket in case of emergency. Be safe!

Member #
    If you haven't bought the climber yet try to get one with a leveling function. It is a pain to figure out start angle without that. I have a Timbertall stand but they apparently went out of business. Also get a good full body harness and a tree attachment system. I forget the model of harness I have but I use a rope and prussic knot system that works for me. You stay attached to the tree all the time.I am too far away from you to do personal training.

Member #
    Do some homework and buy the best fall protection you can get. Make sure it fits properly and is comfortable.(you get a set with the summit stands but you can get much better) Get in the habit of being attached to the tree when climbing up and down. Summit makes a great stand and one will last you a very long time, the CD that is provided with the stand will explain most of what you need to get started. As already stated, this is the time of year when you familiarize yourself with any and all new equipment you plan on using in the fall. Start out just climbing then use your haul rope to pull your bow and pack up a few times. It all comes together after a few sessions. Good Luck

Member #
    Good safety harness and tie yourself to a tree before you go up 1". Then practice

I am deplorable

Member #
    Agree with all of the above.

Not sure I would start with a climber.

Buy a ladder stand to start.

You need a lot of practice with a climber. I have been climbing now about 4 seasons and there are still days I am climbing and get nervous or the climber slips a little.

Buy a good harness and a strong tree strap and always stay connected to the tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    You haven't lived till you have used a Baker treestand, the first one made for commercial sales. They've come a long way since then. Practice in your yard close to the ground and try all kinds of crazy positions till you feel comfortable and I would stick to setting it up only in daylight till you get some experience.
    bill43 and Exit26 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors