What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)?

Member #
    Yep . The treestand Company that started it all. Baker. Thrills chills and spills.
    bushden likes this.

Member #
    Another Baker victim here. Slid down from 20 feet also, thank God I was young! Another time the bottom part slid down to the bottom of the tree and I was sitting 18 feet up on the seat. Did my best bear hug down the tree to the bottom. No safety belts back then.

Member #
    Ya I think I should at least find someone watch me climb first couple of time...Thanks for the advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thank you for your advice! I will keep it in mind!

Member #
    Sounds scary. Thank you! I will keep in mind!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardHEHE View Post
    Ya I think I should at least find someone watch me climb first couple of time...Thanks for the advice.
    Yes it wouldn't hurt.

Member #
    Still scary a lot..

Member #
    Go to the WMA and climb some trees... get used to setting up and tearing the stand down, quietly. Get used to your climbing harness and working your safety gear. Get used to utilizing a haul line to lift items off the ground. Get used to setting the angles on the stand, so when you're 15-25ft up you're level. Get used to finding good hunting trees that are climber friendly.
    United we stand, Divided we fall.

Member #
    I hunt about 90% out of a climber. I use a rope style tree strap to tie off to the tree as I climb. Definitely need to make sure top and bottom are tied together. Stick to trees that look like a telephone pole until you get used to it....then you can move on to knotty trees or trees with a lot of flare at the bottom.

The funny thing is: I feel safer in a climber than I do in a hang on with sticks. I use a TreeWalker climber. You might want to check that out...its absolutely rock solid on the tree. I'm sure the Summit is fine as well...it's a very popular stand. As others have said, practice in the day time a few times and stick to straight trees without a lot of big knots until you are comfortable.

One other thing to be aware of...when you're setting up the climber at the base of the tree you need to make sure it's angled up. As you climb, the diameter of the tree gets smaller and the angle will decrease. If you misjudge, don't climb past the point where your seat and platform are parallel to the ground. You'll get better at judging this as you go along. I try to set the platform high (like above my shoulders) as it gets easier to judge once you get past the "flare" at the base of the tree. Then, I pull it down to where I can climb in. If the tree has significant flare at the bottom you're angle can be pretty severe to start. I carry a screw in step with me that I use in case its too steep to climb in on the ground level.
    Last edited by hongo9999; 05-23-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Member #
    As a new hunter (experienced too!) you may want to start out with a good ground blind. Black inside to hide movement, and 2 man size to allow room for gear. Easy to transport and change location. Just use a comfortable seat. They keep out rain too. If you are on public ground, don't leave anything or it will get stolen. Even private ground is iffy. I also had a Baker, as some others here. What a POS. They all belong in the trash. Good hunting.
    Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors