What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What did you guys do when you first time using tree stand(climber)?

Member #
    Stick with afternoon hunts before you start trying to climb in the morning. I've hunted out of a climber all last season and I still get a bit shaky climbing in the dark. Safety belt is a must.

Member #
    I see no reason not to start w a climber.....as long as you practice. Simple, DO NOT USE WITHOUT A HARNESS. Buy a harness, practice, practice. Go up and down, sit in it a while. Start shooting from it, etc. Plenty of time to learn
    Exit26 likes this.

Member #
    Get on a properly sized tree within your comfortable bow range distance from your deer trail or bait site, keep downwind of it and ALWAYS USE YOUR SAFETY HARNESS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Take your climber out in the woods and practice. Try trees of different sizes and types. Once you become good in the daylight try it in the dark. Don't listen to people trying to scare you out of using it because your new. As long as you are confident with it then go for it. Its really not rocket science. Lol Come up with a system that works for you and stick to it.
    I have same stand. Be sure to use the string that ties sections together in case you lose the bottom going up. Also where your harness climbing. I have haul line attached to my stand that I tie my bow to. Once my stand is in place I pull my bow and pack up.
    Some guys will take grinder to the teeth on the stand so they bite better into hardwoods. I hunt mostly pines so I didn't. Summit also makes a pack that attaches to the stand and after market backpacking straps that are much better than the ones that come with the stand. Good luck

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Cassvbuck likes this.
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

Member #
    What about using - climbing sticks and a hang on. Very different from a climber.
    Exit26 likes this.

Member #
    What everyone else has said already

Member #
    Don't lean sideways! Summit climber is very good climber . They will spin on the tree if you lean sideways ( don't ask how I know)
    I used one in the back yard before in the field. When I switched climbers ( from Summit to X stand) I practiced in the back yard of a friend with him watching.
    Climb slow take small chunks until you get a rhythm. You will slowly take bigger bites ( further up on each step) . I use a headlamp when climbing down in the dark and never found anything scary about it.
    I am a fat old man so if I can do it you can.

Member #
    Just ask Turkeywing, you are obviously related to him...
    Cassvbuck likes this.

Member #
    My first climber was a baker, they did not come with a climbing aid back then you hugged the tree and pulled yourself and the stand up. I got up about 20 feet or so and then slid all the way down holding on to that tree, I still have the scars on my arms 30 years later. YOU GUYS ARE SPOILED TODAY
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    zipper likes this.
    HONOR THE FALLEN
    http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/

Over the years the United States has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Member #
    Yup, you don't know about excitement till you do the "Baker death slide" I was about 17 or so when I bought a baker treestand. The first time I slid down a big oak it cost me two pounds of skin and a camo shirt. There were some folks that were not as lucky. Stands have come a long ways from the 70's
    zipper likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors