Building a house! - need help/recommendations w/ ARCHITECTS and engineers!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Building a house! - need help/recommendations w/ ARCHITECTS and engineers!!!

Member #

Building a house! - need help/recommendations w/ ARCHITECTS and engineers!!!

Hey guys, looking for a few suggestions/experiences here. I'm building a house in South Jersey, Franklin township, on a lot I just purchased. I plan to be the general contractor and sub whats needed out to others. One thing I'm really having trouble with right now is finding a trusting, affordable architect. A lot of numbers Ive called have been disconnected, Ive had prices from rock bottom to sky high, and with the exception of one architect,(Bishop and Smith) most of them seem very flaky in some aspect. Havent really had this issue with any other trade... Id really like to price out more than one decent option, and was hoping for any and all suggestions. I'm willing to take any information for other services as well, as it never hurts to have options. I appreciate all the help!

Member #
    Have you ever been involved with anything like this? Are you familiar with the design, approval and inspection process? Do you have any experience in residential construction and above all do you have any experience on how to solicit, negotiate and sign a contract with your subcontractors? If you say no to some of it you maybe for a ride of your life time and I mean a bumpy ride you may never recover from. (I do all this, only on commercial side, and would not recommend it to anyone cold turkey). Unless you are experienced, maybe the best bet for you would be to find a GC, who is also a builder, who can handle all this for you, including architects and engineers if needed. It will be cheaper in a long run.
    Last edited by Lunatic; 05-18-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    daktari and bill43 like this.

I am deplorable

Member #
    Lunatic has some good points. You need to know what type of home, and sort of how you want to lay it out. Also lay of the land is important. With 35 years of experience in carpentry, (house framing, roofing, siding and concrete forming) I know that experience is important in pulling the project together. One key element is finding the mistakes before you make them. Anyone can start a project, getting it finished is another thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Being the GC on a house is a full time job, you will need to be available to answer lots of questions and keep your contractors on time and scheduled within the trades. I did it and I have a lot of construction experience. It is NOT an easy task. Best of luck to you

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Epointer View Post
    Being the GC on a house is a full time job, you will need to be available to answer lots of questions and keep your contractors on time and scheduled within the trades. I did it and I have a lot of construction experience. It is NOT an easy task. Best of luck to you

If you don't know what you are doing before you even start you may end up 3 years on a one year project without any money to finish it.

I am deplorable

Member #
    There are tens of thousands of online home plans. I'm sure you could find one that meets your specifications and save big $$$.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodtrails View Post
    There are tens of thousands of online home plans. I'm sure you could find one that meets your specifications and save big $$$.
    There are but you still need an architect or an engineer to get your house approved. There is much more to building the house than just plans for the actual house. You need to have a site plan addressing your house location, proper drainage, set backs, zoning regulations and so on. You can't just walk in for approval with a plan for your house only and get it approved. However; if you find a house the way you suggest it would be much cheaper for the architect or engineer just to address the site plan.

I am deplorable

Member #
    I just recommended this architect to another guy on this site.
    Fred Bliefernach 6092593509.
    He just completed my home design for about 1/2 the price of other architects.
    I am getting ready to do the same thing

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    There are but you still need an architect or an engineer to get your house approved. There is much more to building the house than just plans for the actual house. You need to have a site plan addressing your house location, proper drainage, set backs, zoning regulations and so on. You can't just walk in for approval with a plan for your house only and get it approved. However; if you find a house the way you suggest it would be much cheaper for the architect or engineer just to address the site plan.
    Normally the GC will take care of that. Unless the OP has done it before I would recommend a GC at least to get the project going.

Member #
    You've gotten some good advise in this thread. Being your own gc is not an impossible task. I have seen a lot of people do it over the years. But its not easy either. There is a lot to it and not being experienced and knowing ins and outs of building, permits, inspections can tough on you and also your subs. So do your research.
    Also check with your lender (if financing) they may want a gc or you to be one. Meaning licensing and insurance, general liability and workmans comp.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors