Preventing your Camera from being stolen
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Preventing your Camera from being stolen

Member #

Preventing your Camera from being stolen

Well if you take extra 30 minutes setting it up and then extra 10 minutes each time you change SD CARD, I put mine up between 14 and 20 ft, using wrap around spikes and try to use pines trees you can use there branches to climb up. Usually I screw a bracket into the back of camera so it is connected to the tree by bracket and not the camera itself, less stress on camera and easier to hang. This bolt setup is not mine got it off this website from another gentlemen but it really works well, practice on a tree at ground level then when you get kinks worked out hang in tree ! You get way better pictures, bigger area, they never even know there is a camera there ! Also bears don't rip them off the tree and of course dishonest people don't steal them ! I always face my cameras North so never get Name:  image.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  219.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  119.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  114.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  200.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  174.6 KBsun glare , even if you don't climb up and do it at least mount it to the tree but by all means GET RID OF THE BLACK STRAP THAT WRAPS AROUND THE TREE, a crook can see that a mile away , hope this helps , good luck !

Member #
    Great idea that little camera mount. Seems very simple to make. After having cameras stolen off private property, you get pretty pissed at people and have to find ways to hide cameras or not us them at all.

Member #
    Granted I think this will work, but $100 on a camera seems like a pretty fair compensation for not falling out of a tree and breaking your neck when that pine tree limb snaps. A good lock-box and some natural camouflage will work for me. If someone really wants that camera they are going to get it no matter what lengths you go to. We literally had a guy cut the tree down that one of our stands was in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Thisismyusername View Post
    Granted I think this will work, but $100 on a camera seems like a pretty fair compensation for not falling out of a tree and breaking your neck when that pine tree limb snaps. A good lock-box and some natural camouflage will work for me. If someone really wants that camera they are going to get it no matter what lengths you go to. We literally had a guy cut the tree down that one of our stands was in.
    I do something in the middle. I take one LW climbing stick and put it on the tree. Say the top step of the stick is about 4 feet up. I stand on the top step and put the camera a little above me head, so it's like 10 feet up. I could fall, but I'm only 4 feet up. The camera is 10 feet up which keeps it out of most line of sight of the deer. Also, if someones stumbles across it, they would have to have climbing sticks with them to grab it. Stops the "crime of opportunity". Of course, they can always come back with a stick, but I've never had lost one this way.
    1190ftalt likes this.

Member #
    I like the idea for security purposes but I would think it cuts down on what you pick up on.
    That'sABingo likes this.

Member #
    Great idea. I use a ladder to strap the camera 15' high and a piece of wood to get the proper angle. But changing SD cards is a hassle. Going to try your method. Thanks!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MallardHunter View Post
    Great idea. I use a ladder to strap the camera 15' high and a piece of wood to get the proper angle. But changing SD cards is a hassle. Going to try your method. Thanks!
    Basically it's 1-4 inch x 1/4 eye bolt threaded
    1-4 inch x1/4 eye bolt with wood threads to screw into tree
    3- 3/8 x 1 1/4 fender washers (have to be fender or they will be to thick for 1 x 3/8 hex bolt )
    1- 1 inch x 3/8 bolt hex head
    1- 3/8 plastic nut maybe called lock nut
    - I then screw a l brack into back of the camera but I forgot one when I hung this camera so just screwed in to the 4 inch eye bolt, most cameras are 1/4 holes on back on less there metric, best thing to do bring camera to homedepot hardware isle and put it together , good luck
    Ps- this is not my idea , got it from a gentleman on this sight, hope I got the bolt description correct, it's nice to be able to swivel anyway you wAnt !Name:  image.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  187.3 KB

Member #
    I have tried something similar, in my case changing SD cards was hard so I came back to my original idea... just to screw the case to the tree at a safe high (safe for me), not in a transit area of course. I was using a chained case but the f*&ing thieve came with those big scissors to cut it off.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

"...Be water, my friend.”

Member #
    I've put my cams up that high too, but the area that triggers the camera becomes so small it sucks..
    The act of killing is visceral .......

Member #
    I've had good bucks show up, look at the camera and never come back. I think they can be just as alarming as a bait pile to the older bucks. I'm gonna try that this year.
    rdfhunter, zipper and X7_ like this.
    You see the size of that GOSH DARN chicken?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors