New Jersey Hunters banner

Firearm transfer paperwork

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  tankgijohn72 
#1 ·
I usually carry photocopies of transfer paperwork and permits when transporting multiple firearms on range days. I do this so that if I am ever stopped by the police I have proof that these weapons do in fact belong to me. I'm sure this isn't necessary but I do it anyway.

One thing that has always bothered me when doing this is that the transfer papers for the wasr 10 I bought from sure shot in lakewood years ago doesn't have the serial number on it. I guess the guy who sold it to me that day wasn't the most thorough.

My question is should I be concerned that I don't have anything that shows I own that specific rifle? Whether it's in the car or my home. Are there any police officers here that can tell me whether this is something I should even care about?

Thanks

#17 ·
Not this! Never this! You do NOT need a purchase card to transport or possess a firearm. This has been proven time and time again, but some guys love to believe it anyway. When will guys stop asking for legal advice on forums?? Call a lawyer if you're that confused or concerned, or carry a bunch of unnecessary paperwork with you, but for the love of God, stop asking for legal advice on forums like this! If a Leo is so confused or unsure of the states gun laws, do you really think that 1 more piece of paper is going to save you some court time??

#16 · (Edited)
2C:39-5.c.(1) which covers possession. You can't transport without possession. An exemption to that is with a valid hunting license during an open hunting season while transporting to and from. There are other exemptions, but based on the situation given in the original post that is the answer

#22 · (Edited)
There is a qualifier to 2C:39-5 that is called out in 2C:39-6 the specifically enumerates subsection b, c and d. So, as long as its not a machine gun, subsection a. You are good if you are going to the range as the OP stated. In reality yes you are right its will probably save some time and trouble if you have a Purchaser ID card with you when transporting for hunting etc. But its not a requirement.
f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized
in accordance with the rules pre-scribed by
the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle
Practice, in going to or from a place of target
practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary
for said target practice, provided that the
club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent
and annually submits a list of its
members to the superintendent and provided
further that the firearms are carried in the
manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

#23 ·
You are making an assumption that the OP was coming or going to a range where he was/is a member. There is nothing in his original post mentioning that fact. As I said before, different facts get different answers. My answer was given BASED ON THE FACTS GIVEN. Pretty simple, no splitting of the atom here

#24 ·
Actually wasn't assuming that he was a member anywhere, just chose to only highlight the first section of the code as not to take up to much space. Even though there are many other plausible reasons he can legally transport. Facts given say that it is in his car implying he wants to know about transportation and possession in home. "My question is should I be concerned that I don't have anything that shows I own that specific rifle? Whether it's in the car or my home. Are there any police officers here that can tell me whether this is something I should even care about?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.