Savage 220 slugs other than accutips? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Savage 220 slugs other than accutips?

Member #
    Winchester 3" dual bond slugs are 50fps. Slower than Accutip slugs. On target, they group the same.
    When the Accutips sell out, dual bond slugs are the answer.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    Federal trophy copper 3"
    X2 2.25 @ 100 yds
    Give a begger a horse and they'll ride into hell everytime

Member #
    Personally ... I find Federal Trophy/Barnes slugs to be more lethal than the Accutips with comparable accuracy.

Member #
    Personally ... I find Federal Trophy/Barnes slugs to be more lethal than the Accutips with comparable accuracy.
    I was talking to another member about this the other day and we both have had a similar experience with them. I shot a buck a few years ago in the snow at about 80 yards did the mule kick and he ran about 80 yds. and piled up. I went over to the shot location saw a tiny bit of hair and no blood at all, no splatter or anything. I followed the buck’s tracks in the snow and found him but the entire time but while trailing there was absolutely zero blood at all. I even walked it back two or three times because I couldn’t believe it. Gutting the deer revealed it was a double lung that entered and exited between a rib so I never got to see if the bullet expanded or not. It was freezing the night I shot that deer I think it was about 12 degrees so I always questioned if the bullet ever even expanded just hitting cartilage between ribs or did the extreme cold play a part. On other deer I have shot through the shoulder the shots have been devastating. They enter the chest cavity and wreak havoc but I have never gotten a full pass through with them on both shoulders but they have gone down where shot or within 10 yards. Good to know you guys are having success with other rounds out of the 220 as I get tired of buying boxes of AccuTip’s every time I come across them.
    Last edited by fish_hunter; 01-11-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Iron Duke likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nmc02 View Post
    3 inch accutips shoot best out of my gun, better than 2 3/4
    /\ /\ /\ What he said /\ /\ /\

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_hunter View Post
    I was talking to another member about this the other day and we both have had a similar experience with them. I shot a buck a few years ago in the snow at about 80 yards did the mule kick and he ran about 80 yds. and piled up. I went over to the shot location saw a tiny bit of hair and no blood at all, no splatter or anything. I followed the buck’s tracks in the snow and found him but the entire time but while trailing there was absolutely zero blood at all. I even walked it back two or three times because I couldn’t believe it. Gutting the deer revealed it was a double lung that entered and exited between a rib so I never got to see if the bullet expanded or not. It was freezing the night I shot that deer I think it was about 12 degrees so I always questioned if the bullet ever even expanded just hitting cartilage between ribs or did the extreme cold play a part. On other deer I have shot through the shoulder the shots have been devastating. They enter the chest cavity and wreak havoc but I have never gotten a full pass through with them on both shoulders but they have gone down where shot or within 10 yards. Good to know you guys are having success with other rounds out of the 220 as I get tired of buying boxes of AccuTip’s every time I come across them.
    I've had similar experiences as recently as last year. Buck dead within 50 yds, no hair or blood whatsoever, even on a very careful backtrack from carcass to shot location. Carcass was full of blood when I gutted so obviously that was why no blood was found. This also happens at times with muzzleloader bullets. Pretty sure this is more likely to happen with slugs & mz projectiles due to the lower velocity. It's a result of a combination of less likely to have blood & hair from impact, less likely to pass through so no exit hole on other side to bleed & the smaller single hole is more likely to be up high and/or get plugged by tissue. Not saying this happens most of the time, just more likely with slugs & mz projectiles. The lesson is always look for that deer in direction of travel or grid search even if there is no blood or hair. I think way more deer than we realize are hit & die when using slugs or MZ & not recovered because a miss is assumed when no blood or hair is found.
    fish_hunter and Iron Duke like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gregtpal View Post
    I've had similar experiences as recently as last year. Buck dead within 50 yds, no hair or blood whatsoever, even on a very careful backtrack from carcass to shot location. Carcass was full of blood when I gutted so obviously that was why no blood was found. This also happens at times with muzzleloader bullets. Pretty sure this is more likely to happen with slugs & mz projectiles due to the lower velocity. It's a result of a combination of less likely to have blood & hair from impact, less likely to pass through so no exit hole on other side to bleed & the smaller single hole is more likely to be up high and/or get plugged by tissue. Not saying this happens most of the time, just more likely with slugs & mz projectiles. The lesson is always look for that deer in direction of travel or grid search even if there is no blood or hair. I think way more deer than we realize are hit & die when using slugs or MZ & not recovered because a miss is assumed when no blood or hair is found.
    I've seen ... a lot of deer killed by 20ga Accutips out of Savage 220F's and H&R's ... and by good shooters. There have been a noticeable, although not abundant, number of deer knocked down, but still alive. Deer that required a "coup de grāce." I can only assume it has to do with bullet configuration. My guess would be lack of expansion and a minimal hydraulic temporary cavity that imparts shock to the animal's system. No fragmenting and additional smaller wound cavities. But ... that's just a guess. <smile>
    fish_hunter likes this.

FWP
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Federal stopped selling the rounds with the Barnes bullets. They shoot great in mine.

Member #
    I don't think air temp affects expansion, its been shot out of a gun barrel (pretty hot in there) then there is the friction of the air and then entering the body cavity. it heats up pretty quick.

Member #
    Lightfield 2.75 or the 3 inch work best in my Savage 220. Federals are good too. Whatever you choose purchase the best slug scope you can budget and bench the gun well at your range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors