New Jersey Hunters banner

Warning: Some air rifles banned by nj state police

15K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  BenedictGomez 
#1 ·
Check out NJ2AS website. The State Police have just banned certain types of air rifles with suppressors. If someone could post it please. If you have one of the type air rifles in question you could be in violation of there new rule(s). I'm sure it'll be posted in full here before long.

#2 ·
Just never know when some nut is gonna go off his meds and slaughter 20 or 30 Robins in someones yard.

Or you may shoot your eye out and not know it [eek]

Hey wait I got an ideer. How bout we just reclassify air guns to what they actually are. Sure would save alot of headaches and police time.

Nahhhhh too easy. I forgot this is NJ and we do things the hard way [hihi]

#6 ·
The State Police have just banned certain types of air rifles with suppressors.

These rifles have always been banned in NJ.

NJ classifies air rifles & BB guns as "firearms" under state law. You are prohibited from possessing or attaching a sound suppressor to any firearm in this state. Possession of these suppressed air rifles would make you an instant felon under State law. You could be charged with 2C:39-3.c "Prohibited weapons and devices"

2C:39-3.c Silencers - Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

2C:39-1.g Definitions -
"Firearm silencer" means any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent, or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm.

#12 ·
When I told you the Gamo Whisper was illegal you all thought I was crazy. So I guess I was right along.

#22 ·
The reason many of us didn't believe you is because the Gamo Whisper,the Gamo Silent Cat, the Gamo Recon Whisper, the Gamo Silent Stalker, and the Gamo Super-D-Dog-Duper Crazy Quietest Gun For Suckers Ever, do NOT have silencers on them.

What they have is a plastic device on the end of the barrel to aid in cocking the gun since it's a break barrel, and Gamo came up with the marketing trick of calling it "silencing" so morons would think it's cool and buy it (which worked). Without that big hunk of plastic on the end of break barrel airguns, it would be annoyingly difficult to cock the gun.

#18 ·
The conundrum is that states that border us are where many residents travel to and do purchase firearms. Those states DON'T treat airguns as firearms. So, the chance exists that this particular model and others like it could possibly be in the possession of many unsuspecting residents.

#25 · (Edited)
In section 39-1 letter q what is it there for?? Just curious...

q. "Superintendent" means the Superintendent of the State Police.

Defines what "Superintendent" means in the rest of Title 2C, Chapter 39

The reason many of us didn't believe you is because the Gamo Whisper,the Gamo Silent Cat, the Gamo Recon Whisper, the Gamo Silent Stalker, and the Gamo Super-D-Dog-Duper Crazy Quietest Gun For Suckers Ever, do NOT have silencers on them.

What they have is a plastic device on the end of the barrel to aid in cocking the gun since it's a break barrel, and Gamo came up with the marketing trick of calling it "silencing" so morons would think it's cool and buy it (which worked). Without that big hunk of plastic on the end of break barrel airguns, it would be annoyingly difficult to cock the gun.

from Gamo's own website ...

"Gamo® is introducing The Quietest Quiet Gun™� air rifle when it releases the new Whisper® Fusion® and Whisper Fusion Pro line in 2013. With its patented double integrated noise dampening technology making the shot nearly undetectable to pesky varmints, 1400 FPS with PBA, all weather durability combined with maximum performance, exclusive Smooth Action Trigger (SAT™) and Shock Wave Absorber (SWA™) features, making it a must-have for any serious varmint hunter."
- See more at: http://www.gamousa.com/#sthash.aJxxN35J.dpuf

... be careful, or become the NJ test case for a "silenced" air rifle
[wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]​

#30 ·
from Gamo's own website ...

"Gamo® is introducing The Quietest Quiet Gun™� air rifle when it releases the new Whisper® Fusion® and Whisper Fusion Pro line in 2013.
Holy crap. LOL. You know, when I said this.......

the Gamo Super-D-Dog-Duper Crazy Quietest Gun For Suckers Ever, do NOT have silencers on them.
I had absolutely no idea they really had plans for a new "The Quietest Quiet Gun" line. I am literally laughting out loud.

#31 ·
Stupid! You asked for it. Have you heard a break-barrel 1200fps pellet gun? It sounds damn near close to a .22 LR. Have you blown up a bag and 'popped' it? It is silent? No, because compressed air leaving a chamber very quickly with disrupt the air, which in turn makes a sound. When these air rifles with 'silencers' are fired, the air leaves the barrel in different intervals; and, as a result, the sound is much more quieter then when all of the air leaves the end of barrel all at once.

#36 ·
Official statement from F&W regarding Air Rifles with silencers...

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Air Gun Hunting In New Jersey
This is so FREAKING ridiculous!

As per a recent interpretation by the State Attorney General's Office, The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, Bureau of Law Enforcement, is advising sportsman and sportswomen that the possession and use of air rifles equipped with silencers is illegal pursuant to New Jersey Criminal Law. Silencers are defined as any device designed to lessen or muffle the noise of the rifle discharging. We urge all users of air rifles to determine through the manufacturer of the firearm whether or not they are so equipped. The possession and use of such air rifles is ILLEGAL.
So as I read this it is exactly as I guessed.

That Gamo guns will be "ILLEGAL" because they call it silencing technology, but AFAIK, Crosman guns that have the exact same thing should be legal since they make no claim that the hunk of plastic on the barrel is for noise reduction. Benjamin also has a nitro piston gun with this hunk of plastic, but I'm unsure whether or not they make any absurd "silencer" marketing claim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.