NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    Member #
    has anyone here built one? I see they have classes to finish one on their CAD machine, but they are in CA, they also sell templates for finishing, can this all be done on a drill press (have one) or does it require milling and machining? Im interested in building one as a lower for a PSE tec 10, or maybe a few to start an AR build in 223 or 308 I see where this would make it illegal for resale, but im not so worried there as i havent sold a firearm yet. just keep collecting. Whats the story behind an 80% lower??

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHRW1
    Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life.

All tyrany needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent ~ Thomas Jefferson

Illegitimas Non-Carborundum

Member #
    The serial number issue and the state of NJ make me uneasy on purchasing one
    NJFH
    A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Member #
    there are quite a few companys selling 80% lowers,they also sell the jigs to complete them with just a drill press.a friend of mine did one a few weeks ago.It came out really good.I dont know enough about them to say how good compared to a fully cnc'd one it is,but it seems to function as good as any other i have see or shot.

Member #
    I have posted about a dozen times on here about this. We have built two with this companies lowers. Yes there is some drilling or milling required to finish. You DO NOT need a serial number but its reccomended but the ATF in case of theft

Member #
    But i also herd that nj specifically has a law against home machining guns as in other states this is perfectly legal, but it is against the law in NJ to make a home made gun without like being certified by NJ to do so. But Do not take my word on this.. I am only saying this because i want to build one and have been doing research ( because NJ makes me nervous too), But no one has a real answer.. But if you find one please PM me because i really want to make one.... I know the serial number thing is legit because ATF doesn't require at home built guns to have one. They have contracts with commercial gun makers that make them serialize their guns.

Member #
    In NJ, you have to be a manufacturer, with a manufacturer's license to make one gun for yourself. This is simply the truth about this state.

However, in America (any of the free states) you can build your own gun for your own use. You do not need a serial on it (probably a good idea anyway, but not law).

I don't see why you could not build the gun in PA. You would not be "manufacturing a gun in NJ so you would not be required to have a license.

Then possess the gun legally in NJ. After all, it is a legal gun and would be no different than if you had bought it from a PA dealer. (assuming the gun follows the NJ AWB rules)

Member #
    YEP, after looking into it more and weighing the options, Ive found cheap commercially made and numbered stripped lowers anyway. these 80% may be cheaper if your planning on doing a bunch, but you could never sell them($80-90 for the lower, and $125 for the jigs, which could be reused for several lowers..) I have seen numbered stripped lowers for anywhere from $70-$270 but then I have to get em shipped to a FFL for transfer at $50 each ($25 transfer, and $25 NICS) so after checking to be sure there was no wait between each (they COULD be considered as a pistol as they could be built as such) im now in the process of ordering 3 stamped & numbered ones to be sent to my local FFL for transfer. Ill prob just build 1 at a time and learn as i go. theres just always some new toy I just gotta have haha but thanks all for the input. cheers
    http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...ower&ksubmit=y
    Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life.

All tyrany needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent ~ Thomas Jefferson

Illegitimas Non-Carborundum

Sponsors