NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/n...ar-of-a-story/

This Hunter Shot a Bear, and It Was THIIIIIIIIIIIS Big

By Brynn Grimley (Contact)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dennis Durbin sits on the back of the 570-pound, 8-foot tall, black bear he shot Oct. 12 between Seabeck and Silverdale. Dwarfed by the bear, Durbin is 6-feet, 7 inches tall and over 300 pounds.

Seabeck resident and avid hunter Dennis Durbin holds up the paw of the 570-pound black bear he shot Oct. 12. Durbin was deer hunting with his uncle on private property off Anderson Hill Road between Seabeck and Silverdale.

Dennis Durbin of Seabeck shot a 570-pound black bear on Oct. 12. It is more than double the size of the bear hanging on the wall, a 280-pound bear he hunted in 1995.

Dennis Durbin and his uncle Dan Durbin were out early on Sunday, Oct. 12, hoping to shoot a buck on the second day of deer hunting season.

Before the could bag a catch and get to church, however, a face-to-face encounter with a black bear Dan Durbin now describes as "the monster" changed their plan — and turned the 35-year-old Seabeck resident into a local legend.

The pair were on 200 acres of leased land near Anderson Hill Road where the family — all avid hunters — hunt deer. The two started on separate ends of the property and walked toward each other, trying to trap a buck.

When they were within 40 to 50 yards of each other, a rustling sound nearby signaled one thing: bear.

"We knew there was a bear in the area, we'd seen its tracks," Dennis Durbin said. "I heard him, he was feeding and I saw the tops of the trees moving."

Dennis Durbin weighed his options quickly. When the bear walked directly in front of him, about 45 yards away, hunter's instinct took over.

"All of the sudden I see him put his shotgun up and he shoots and then yells bear," Dan Durbin recalled. "He ran after it and I ran after him. When he walked up to it, he went 'Oh my God.' And when I walked up to it I went 'Oh my God.'

"It was enormous."

Durbin estimates the bear was 570 pounds. Initial height measurements show the bear was 7 feet, 2 inches from nose to tail — which means if standing on its hind legs it was likely closer to 8 feet tall.

At 6-foot-7 and 305 pounds himself, Durbin is not a small man. But in photos where he is sitting next to the bear, he is easily dwarfed.

Durbin used a Mossberg 500 pump shotgun with a slug barrel. Ideally, he would have used a .325 Winchester short magnum rifle, he said, but the property he leases for hunting has a shotgun-only requirement because of its proximity to surrounding homes.

It wasn't until they approached the dead bear that Durbin realized the significance of his shot.

"In the back of my mind I was thinking 'That thing is big enough to eat me,'" he said.

Last year, 19 bears — 14 males and five females — were killed in the region that includes Kitsap County and Key Peninsula.

Sgt. Ted Jackson, an enforcement officer with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, said the bear killed by Durbin was unusually large for this area.

Jackson spends a good portion of his time responding to complaints about bears in outlying residential areas, and he supports a reasonable amount of hunting.

"We have a lot of bears," he said, "but the number killed legally is not as high as I would hope in order to get the number of problem bears down."

What was supposed to be a quick deer hunting trip before church ended up being a hunting story Durbin will tell for years — and one that could land his name in the record books.

"It was definitely a hunt and a thrill of a lifetime," he said. "I've never seen a black bear that big."

Jackson said that no bears killed in the Kitsap region are on the state top ten list for size. Durbin said that 368 pounds of meat were weighed when he brought it to the meat locker, as well as 137 pounds of hide and head and 64 pounds of innards. Records for size kept by the state are measured by skull size, however.

An avid hunting family, the Durbins had the bear meat processed into summer and breakfast sausage, as well as bear jerky.

"We always eat what I get," Durbin said. "My family's pretty much raised on wild game."

They already took the bear to the taxidermist and estimate it will be a year before the bear is ready to come home. Until then, the family will have to tell the story using photos.

"To get one that big, it's honestly once in a lifetime," Dan Durbin said of his nephew's kill. "I'll probably never see one like that ever again."
    For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - Kipling

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Great story, what a bear.
    Wildlife Taxidermy By Richard G. Santomauro
    1732 Hgy # 71 Wall NJ 07719 Phone 732-449-5950
    Web pages
    http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
    http://www.taxidermyrental.com
    http://www.VELVET-ANTLERS.COM
    E-Mail rgswildlife@yahoo.com
    Life member NRA & NJFSC. Member UBNJ, NTA, GSTA, NJOA. Past pres. Monmouth County Federation of Sportsman

Member #
    That is a giant bear.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    To fish or not to fish...what a stupid question

state record LMB here I come

http://alluringbaits.com/?q=affiliate/Fishgod82

Member #
    Scary thing is that I have pics of bears right here in NJ that make that thing look tiny.
    No matter what happens, whether you succeed or not, if you stand up and do it right and pay attention, hunting will always give you what you need. It may not be what you were looking for, but it will absolutely be important enough to justify whatever you did to get it.”
    Edison Marshall

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Sweet.....nice bear

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Wait till we have another season...
    We shoot 700 pounders

Member #
    Here's a pic of a NJ 700lber from Passaic county.
    No matter what happens, whether you succeed or not, if you stand up and do it right and pay attention, hunting will always give you what you need. It may not be what you were looking for, but it will absolutely be important enough to justify whatever you did to get it.”
    Edison Marshall

Member #
    another pic of him.
    Edison Marshall

Member #
    A Conservation Officer told me about a bear that they tagged back in the spring... over 700 lbs. coming out of the den. They estimate it was over 900 lbs. when it had gone in last fall. This was in West Milford, not sure where. Had never been tagged. Where there's one, there's probably more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors