NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Bear killed near Rockaway Township school

ROCKAWAY TWP. -- A bruin that crawled up a tree near a township elementary school was killed by state officials Tuesday night, authorities said.

Police received calls during the day of a black bear wandering through the township and tracked it to the Dennis B. O'Brien Elementary School on Mineral Spring Drive at 1:40 p.m., according to Lt. John Czohla, a department spokesman.

The bear climbed a tree in a wooded area between the school and Peterson Fields off Fleetwood Drive, and within 1,000 feet of Route 80.

It stayed there until about 7:30 p.m., when authorities euthanized it, according to Darlene Yuhas, a DEP spokeswoman.

"Local police aversively conditioned this bear and it returned to the same area, at which point they notified the DEP," Yuhas said.

It was unclear how township police initially responded to scare the bear off, but the officers were trained in bear response, Czohla said.

"We don't see bears too often," Czohla said. "We were worried because there were children around."

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs...38/1005/NEWS01

Bear killed near school

ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP — Wildlife officials killed a black bear that climbed a tree near an elementary school in Rockaway Township.

Police tried to chase the bruin away from the Dennis O'Brien Elementary School.

But the bear climbed a tree in a wooded area between the school and a field. It stayed there for about six hours.

Police considered the bear a threat to children and wildlife officials agreed to euthanize it.

State officials say bears started breeding this month and male bears roam long distances in search of mates.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../NEWS/80508009
    For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - Kipling

Member #
    I guess the Rockaway cops wanted to go home for the evening. Aren't most elementary schools like a ghost town after 6pm was their fear that when the bear climbed down it would unleash it's bearlike furry on an empty schoolyard ? Did they think it was going to stay up in the tree all night plotting until it saw some kids to attack the next morning? I think the problem is not the bear but the trees lets cut down all the trees....I have a suggestion why not tranqualize the bear and call Janet Piszar from the BEAR group to give it a ride to her house. I think if there were less bears we might not see as many as frequently but hey i am just a bowhunter not a wildlife biologist or anything fancy....

Member #
    There is indeed a bear season in NJ. Just limited to the privilaged few!!

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    NJ anti's (Lisa Jackson being one of them) have decided that it's better to kill bears and let them completely go to waste than let hunters kill them and utilize the meat and hides.

Sportsmen, don't take it!

Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    The kids were waiting to play a softball game at 8pm, Tried to get in the snackstand, Earlier it was shot with rubber bullets.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    There is indeed a bear season in NJ. Just limited to the privilaged few!!
    You got that right!!
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -Thomas A. Edison

NRA Life Member
    NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
    UBNJ Member

http://msgrit.com/

Sponsors
    Member #
    I guess the Rockaway cops wanted to go home for the evening. Aren't most elementary schools like a ghost town after 6pm
    Peterson Field is a very active night time field... They have 3 or 4 baseball, soccer and football fields plus basketball and tennis courts there under the bright lights..It also has a playground for smaller kids and a snack stand. There is always people(kids) there into the late evening hours and there is always food being cooked or in the trash to atract bears...

I'm not sure what it is about that spot but it seems like every year there is a bear incident there... I can remember at least 3 other times they had a bear chase there..

There are no big woods there... Rt80 lines one side, the mall is at the top section, and Fleetwood developement surounds the rest... A lot of houses close together with very little space in between..

The school is right across from the Rockaway Mall with Peterson field right behind it... You can see the bright glow of the lights from Rt 80 at night just after the mall heading East or just before heading West...

I'M SICK AND TIRED OF BEING SICK AND TIRED

SEMI-PROSTAFFER

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/index.php

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    You got that right!!
    Believe me, there is no satisfaction in killing a bear this way. The biologists are saddened when they are forced to do this.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    This is gona happen more and more

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I'm curious to know what they do with the meat from a bear that they euthanize. There are so many of us that would fill our freezers and feed our children.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -Thomas A. Edison

NRA Life Member
    NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
    UBNJ Member

http://msgrit.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors