New Jersey Hunters banner

How many people actually took bears on bait?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  rgw 
#1 ·
For all the pros and cons to hunting over bait,How many were were shot on bait? Mine came in on bait but passed, it was early Mon morn wanted to wait for bigger one.Was it worth all the work? Or just hunt on sign and no bait.Interesed in stats.

#6 ·
I don't want to highjack your thread but are you guys seeing the bears on the bait more in the morning or evening? I ask because most outfitters in Canada only put their clients on bait in the afternoon.

#10 ·
well, "rgw" it clearly states that a hunter shall not hunt over bait from less than 300 feet while hunting black bear, an it is totally ILLIEGAL to hunt black bear over a bait pile on refuges an can not bait within 450 feet of any campsites or picnic areas, so therefor in my book, that is illegal, because how many people really have a "specific" bait pile set up with a CLEAR shooting lane 100 yards or 150 yards away for bear an still make a clean kill shot that far??

#17 ·
If you are hunting state land , I would not use a barrel. Barrels attract attention to your bait site, cameras etc. Also I dont know if it would be legal to put a barrel on state land.Try covering your bait with big logs. Will make them work at it for awhile and also conceal your site from other hunters and maybe your trailcam wont disappear.too much work hauling barrels in and then most likely they will be left behind after the hunt.

#18 ·
We keep 2 bait stations in the interior of our 107 acres and hunt them coming and going. I shot one two seasons ago not that close to our bait. She was asleep on the forest floor and I noticed her as the light started to come up. I waited until she got up before taking the shot.

alecsZ7, no offense, but you really need to read the rules closely. Baiting is perfectly legal provided you follow the rules. Our bait is kept more than 300' from any of our stands because we all hunt out of some form of "stand". But if one of our guys wanted to just lean up against a tree or rock, he could stand right on the bait if he wanted to.

#20 ·
q&a on new jersey fish and wildlife website

Q) Can I use bait to hunt black bear if I am hunting from the ground?
A) Yes, but you must not be in any type of constructed blind. Baiting on National Wildlife Refuges and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is not permitted.

Q) Can I use bait to hunt black bear if I am hunting from an elevated stand?
A) Yes, but your elevated stand must be at least 300 feet from the bait.

so alecsz7 the answor is "YES" you can bait bear!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.