NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey guys,

I am hunting the watershed this fall/permit bow and I'm looking for a winter bow spot as NWS is off limits after Dec31. Anyone know how far up Canistear Rd Wawayanda SP starts? Im coming from the south and looking for as close a spot from my home as I can find.

Thanks,

TS
    -TS

Member #
    google maps is your friend...

Member #
    You can get in from Cherry Ridge Road. East from Clinton Rd.(Lookover lake) or West from Canistear(after1st lake on right) Check the State Parks website.....some areas/trails may be closed due to the pipeline!!! I don't think the West gate(main rd.) is open in the winter. Or......Just use the main entrance from Warwick Tpk.

Member #
    Thanks cobound
    -TS

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    google maps is your friend...
    Not in this instance. Google and Bing maps both show the park to be much smaller than it is. For example they don't consider the park "natural areas" to be be included.

This is the map you want:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...0bleed%202.pdf

Member #
    As always maps are not 100 % correct, but this is a very good one. Take a current street map of the area and lay it over this one. You can also get a road and trail map from the office at wawayanda.
    U.B.N.J.

Cooks service
    auto & trailer/repairs.welding & fab.
    201-317-1345 vernon nj

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Yes, you need to get the hunting map from the Wayway office. That map shows (rather crudely), the areas you're not supposed to hunt (I think next to Laurel Pond and some other areas). The whole park is not open to hunting so be careful.

Also, take advantage of Bearfort Mountain and AH State Forest. A LOT less hikers and bikers in those areas, although the terrain can be killer.

Member #
    whats a natural area? hunting or not?

Member #
    All of Canistear road is Watershed from 23 to Highland Lakes....you can enter the park via Cherry Ridge from Canistear road but that area has a ton of traffic and the pipeline guys built a "highway" there. I use to park on the pipeline and the hike into the watershed to hunt but now you can't even drive the cherry ridge trail past Cabin trail...its marked closed area. Once the pipeline guys are gone should be better next year.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    whats a natural area? hunting or not?
    I have often hunted 2 of the so called natural areas, but not recently. However when I did hunt there these places were refered to as "natural areas"

What that map calls "Waywayanda Natural Area" I call "Cedar Swamp" I haven't hunted it for at least 10 years. It used to be you could park by County Road where intersects "Double Pond Trail". Since then the County road area had many new houses built there. The last I checked there is no longer a place too legally park. That area can be accessed if you park by the boat house or on Cherry Ridge road, but it is a long way to drag a deer.

The area they call "Waywayanda Hemlock Ravine Natural Area" I call "Moe Mountain". I have hunted there in the last 5 or so years. The problem with that is they started locking the gate on Warwick Tpk/Moe Road and do not open it early enough to get on stand. In addition to that they possibly could lock you in the park in the evening. (This gate problem also applies to parking by the boat house to get to Cedar Swamp.)

Both areas are otherwise good places to hunt. Deer are edge animals. Both places have an edge where thick cover meets open hardwood forest. I have taken many deer in these areas.

I never hunted the Bearfort Mountain area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors