NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Question about deer snorting.

Rack Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #

Question about deer snorting.

Been Hunting for a few years but tear last 2 season I've really put in a lot of time scouting the property I hunt. I found a funnel from there bedding area I put up my stand by. My first hunt out I noticed soon as the does came out they would look right to my stand and give me the up and down look. They didn't spook but they stayed out about 45-50 yds feeding on the trees wouldn't take the run I know they use which is about 30 yds from my stand. The mature does didn't but they allowed the yearlings to linger about 15 yds from me. After feed for a hour or so at the 50 yds there was loud snort that came from the thick cover and the does took off. After watching them continually look up to where my stand was while feeding I decided it would be a good idea to move it
    I found a tree that was about 15 yds to the left with better cover this tree has some small trees in front and totally covers the ladder and opens up at the platform to give me some great shooting lanes after moving it I stayed out of the woods for a few days went back in at 3pm for a afternoon sit soon as I got in the tree I heard the snort again I looked and could see the body of a deer about 60yds in the thickets walking around cruising the area. But couldn't see the head to tell if it's a buck or doe. Based on body size I'm leaning toward buck. My question is is the deer snorting because it winded me or could it be just seeing what else is in the area. ? Or another reason.

Sorry for for the long post any advise is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    I don't believe bucks will snort you out like that, most likely an older doe.
    Take a kid hunting
    Operating Engineers Local 825
    Hunting does not build character, it reveals it.

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Sounds like you are getting busted with scent or sight or both.

Member #
    Any deer will snort if spooked, buck or doe
    Jason1, dgram36 and Faster like this.

Member #
    The deer winded you... are you paying attention to wind direction before climbing up in your stand??? Wait for the right wind preferably a good crosswind that's blowing from the trail to you or a wind that's blowing from the bedding area

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Sounds like they had your stand pegged and one of them got downwind of you to figure out what you were. Most likely it was a doe. Bucks will snort but it's generally a short quick snort as they get the hell out of dodge. Once a buck senses danger he won't stick around like doe will do snorting her brains out.
    Last edited by bill43; 10-06-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    “If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.” ― General George Patton

Member #
    the most likely snorters are a mature doe that either saw you or winded you - it doesn't matter which to them, the second they perceive imminent danger they sound the alarm. Bucks will do it too, but it's usually the lead mature doe that gets you most of the time. The will do this with coyotes and bears too. Being seen or smelled from your stand is never good, which probably means you need to let it cool off for several days to a week, and wait for the perfect wind. Deer prefer to walk into or angling across the wind, and will less commonly walk with the wind. When a deer beds down, they will generally face downwind, because they can smell what is behind them and see what is ahead of them. Realize - their most acute sense/defense (insanely acute that is) would be their nose, then their ears, then their eyes. That doesn't mean their eyesight is bad either - they can see just fine it's just that nothing tops their nose (I should say they "detect motion" extremely well - but can't see color). Good luck - you have discovered the most challenging aspect of deer hunting, which is to remain undetected at all times!

Member #
    I've never heard a buck blow to bust me, I've seen them drop tail and boogy when they've winded me. Learned something new...
    Take a kid hunting
    Operating Engineers Local 825
    Hunting does not build character, it reveals it.

Member #
    Unless you are moving a great deal in the stand or only like 8 feet off the ground, they are getting your scent. Sounds like that first doe saw your stand and wasn't used to it so simply kept her distance. They will do the head bob or stomp if they see something they don't like and usually just walk off. However if you get busted by scent, that's when you get the snort and that beautiful white tail waiving in the air along with all the other deer in the area following suit. Play the wind and spray down more with scent killer. Maybe rewash your clothes too. That nose can kill anybody's hunt at any time. Good luck.
    It only takes a second to clip in. Stay safe and hunt smart.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetailjunky View Post
    I've never heard a buck blow to bust me, I've seen them drop tail and boogy when they've winded me. Learned something new...
    I have but I've never had one stick around and stomp like a doe will. Bucks always blow and go in my experience. Sounds like the OP is getting winded, might want to set up a few stands based on wind direction and hunt them accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors