Large feilds and coyote huntng.
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By donttreadonme
  • 6 Post By bmelvin
  • 4 Post By palawman30

Thread: Large feilds and coyote huntng.

Member #

Large feilds and coyote huntng.

I have yet to successfully take a coyote. However, I've only actually legitimately targeted them one while hunting. When I did my friend and I used the rifle mounted green lights at night and a middle of the electronic call up on his property in roscoe in NY in march or February i believe. We had a lot of action in vocal responses and new they where all around us at every field we set up up in but we could never get a visual when we would turn the lights on and scan. All the encounters I've had with them while deer hunting in both Jersey and NY, they were chasing deer and hauling as through the thick woods so I didn't even have to raise my bow nvm draw on them. The fields on private NY property i hunt are all the food plots we pain stakenly carved into the mountains to give those big woods mountain deer nutrients have a maximum visual range of about 150 yards when the leaves are down. The reason I typed all that up is to set up my questions. First, everything I've seen online is guys calling them into big fields where they can actually see them get an unobstructed shoot. Is hunting in larger fields a viable tactic to increases my chance during NJs rifle season this year. If so would anyone mind letting me know where I could find larger fields state Land wise (I'm not asking for anyone to expose there spot just maybe a pm to point me in a direction). Every place I hunt in NJ is small thick private land in the suburbs. My second question is when spot lighting with green lights do you keep them on and constantly scan or wait to you think you hear something than click it on and scan?
    bmelvin likes this.

Member #
    Ok I'll try and break this down.

Yes big fields are always better to call but you can still hunt smaller lots. The same principles apply but when our viewing window is smaller these principles must be followed. First is the wind. Unlike deer hunting do not have the wind in your face you will get winded every time and not even know anything was there. Fox and yotes are going to try and cut down wind of your caller. So either have the wind at your back or at the very least across your face. Now if the wind is dead at your back make sure the area you are calling is working with the wind. What I mean by that is if it is a rectangle shapped field and you are sitting on info of the short sides make sure they wind if running directly down the field. You want the down wind side to be the biggest opening and have the best vision. If you hunt a cross win put the caller on the up wind side in the field and position yourself accordingly. Now the lights are personal preference but I prefer red over green as green has spooked more game for me. Also get in the habit of scanning with the bottom half of the light halo. Try not to put the center of the beam on the animal at anytime. I like to scan back and forth for the first 5 mins of calling just to make sure nothing is super close and it's running in. Then I will scan every other minute or so. ok lastly let's talk about yotes answering you. Different vocalizations mean different things. Barking is the only one I would be worried about bc that can sometimes mean you have been busted. Anything else you have I feel them out. And if you are using yote calls don't expect a yote to come charging in like you see on TV. 99% of the time they will post up 100 yards or more from where they heard your calls and check the wind. I have seen them sit and wait 45 mins before coming in. If you get answers stay with your calls, meaning do switch from howls and then all of a sudden go to dying rabbit. Stay with the yote vocals of some sort and try to tell a story. This is getting long but the last bit of advice is end your set with atleast 15 mins of silence. I can't tell you how many times those damn things wait till the caller goes off and 10 mins later come in to check it out. Best of luck out there

ST Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Excellent advice!
    The only thing I would add is sometimes hold tight even when you don't get an audio response....
    Which is very likely if your running distress calls. They tend to sneak in downwind of the injured animal and try to get a visual on the noise....
    Just because you don't hear. A coyote doesn't mean they aren't there!
    I've been busted leaving a set to early.
    I called in 2 yotes the other night in south jersey. I watched them cross a field upwind of me, go into the woodline, circle around the call and come back out downwind. Once they scented me they were gone!
    Now if I had a rifle in my hands it would be a completely different story! Lol. But that coyote hunting.....
    PREDATORCH.COM

NIGHT PREDATOR HUNTING LIGHTS- CALLS AND ACCESSORIES

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thats alot of years of experience talking there. Great information

Member #
    Palawman is right on the money. And I'm glad he mentioned that. I prob only get a vocal response 25% of the time.

Member #
    70% of the predators i call come in after the call is off
    I USED TO SHOOT BIG DEER!!!!!

Sponsors