Trying to see if I need to join...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Trying to see if I need to join...

Member #

Trying to see if I need to join...

...a sportsmans or gundog club. I really dont know what exists out there as this would be new to us. Maybe, I should just take advantage of the WMA's dedicated for dog training? This would be for Remi and I of course. A place where I can work with her and have no distractions. A place where I can start to work on her with dead pigeons, live pigeons and work my way up to pheasants as she progresses. This would need to benefit us when it comes to training her with the gun/starter pistol and working up from that as well. The only clubs Ive belonged to are for bass fishing. Ive never joined any other types. Organizations like BASS, UBNJ, NRA yea, but not a club dedicated to shooting/hunting/dog training etc.

Im hoping to get your opinion on the subject. So, what do you think? This is one of those deals where...if ya havnt done it, how do ya know?

Located in Burlington county and thanks in advance

Member #
    we may have openings
    outdoorslife likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NutleySigns View Post
    we may have openings
    What club is this Nutley? Pm me if you rather discuss there, thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    NewJerseyHunter.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    For training the Del-Val chapter of NAVHDA would be the way to go, if you have a versatile hunting dog. If it's not just ask they may let pointing dogs train with them. The amount of help and access to fields and birds is priceless.

English Setter Club, Medford NJ, wish I was closer.

I just saw your post it's a lab mix. You can work the dog on WMA dog training grounds. There are good people on this forum, I would ask for help when you need it. Introduction to birds and gun should be done correctly.
    Last edited by DonT; 03-01-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    outdoorslife likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT View Post
    For training the Del-Val chapter of NAVHDA would be the way to go, if you have a versatile hunting dog. If it's not just ask they may let pointing dogs train with them. The amount of help and access to fields and birds is priceless.

English Setter Club, Medford NJ, wish I was closer.

I just saw your post it's a lab mix. You can work the dog on WMA dog training grounds. There are good people on this forum, I would ask for help when you need it. Introduction to birds and gun should be done correctly.
    Thanks for your reply. I live 5 minutes from there. I dont know any better, which is why Im here asking, but someone told me its not for retrievers and/or mixed breeds??

My original plan was to use the WMA's but then started wondering if I should just join a club. I have been trying my best to do my homework and just been focusing on basic obedience, socialization and play/fun time with her right now.

I know time goes fast and will need to start pushing forward with her soon, at her pace, with training more geared towards hunting so trying to figure out where I will be doing this. its not a problem by any means, just wanted to talk with some fellow sportsman/women and see what ya's thought. As far as introduction to water, transition from wings to dead, then small, then large live birds and introduction to guns is all beaten in my head. Im following Tom Dokkens methods which start with a partner clapping, then using a starter pistol, small gauge shotgun and up from varying distances.

I have a call into James with NAVHDA and left my name/# for him to give me a shout back.

Member #
    As soon as my pups are whelped we will be getting started again. We normally train in the whiting /greenwood area. We will have two new puppies in the group plus older dogs. Pups are 4 weeks now. So April we will be back at it. I will let you know when we get going. Nothing formal just a group of guys that get together on sundays. Chris
    outdoorslife likes this.
    All wet labs smell good!!!!

Member #
    So I spoke with James who is listed as a point of contact for NAVHDA and we spent about 15 minutes going over some things. He did say that NAVHDA is geared towards pointing breeds and not retrievers so they dont have much to offer me. Bummer. After him asking me some questions and my intentions he made me feel as if I was on the right track and to continue what Im doing and really to get Remi on some live birds.

So, what clubs exist as far as offering training grounds and live birds etc.? If I use the WMA grounds, that is just fine too. I would however like to get an idea of whats out there.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntinbuck View Post
    As soon as my pups are whelped we will be getting started again. We normally train in the whiting /greenwood area. We will have two new puppies in the group plus older dogs. Pups are 4 weeks now. So April we will be back at it. I will let you know when we get going. Nothing formal just a group of guys that get together on sundays. Chris
    Gruntinbuck, much appreciated!
    Gruntinbuck likes this.

Member #
    Get the dog out now, the woodcock are starting to show up here in the north. Nothing better than wild birds for youe pup especially woodcock!
    outdoorslife likes this.

Member #
    Gruntinbuck was very generous with his offer.

Pinelands Retriever Club
    Navesink River Hunting Retriever Club I have no experience with these clubs.

The pups young and still needs his shots so be careful. Run the pup out in the fields/woods, let him explore. Introduce him to water when it warms up. Start obedience now, just simple stuff, encourage him to come to you. Get him to like you and have fun.

I use Quail for a young dog, when he is ready.
    outdoorslife likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors