NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Any good recepies out there? Cooking instructions? I'd like to add some corn and other minerals and I've seen a bunch of opposing views on how to solidify it into a block. Looking for a smaller block that can be nailed or bolted into a tree.

Any help appreciated.

TS
    Clear your mind, breath, be sure and confident of your shot, commit to the shot, take your shot.
    In memory of Uncle Dick, 1st Marines, One of Korea's Chosin Few.
    TS Penn

Member #
    TS, I tried it and mine didn't come out so good. the bottom was nice and hard but the top was all runny. it was just a small one, didn't want to wast everything if i messed it up. good luck with yours.
    ONE SHOT ONE KILL I.U.O.E. 825 FOR LIFE

Member #
    I've never attempted to make anything like that but there are a handful of threads on archerytalk about bear baits where guys boil sugar, karo, and water then add flavoring and jello, you may be able to do something similar with molasses in it. Here is one of the threads with instructions on how to make a "bear sucker" http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1197261

Member #
    I would be willing to bet that those blocks are made by using heat and pressure.. and of course the ingredients used

I would think you need a pretty dry mixture to begin with.. salts, corn, possibly some other types of grains, like oats,wheat flour, sunflower seeds. then your molasses

now for hard part heat and pressure.
    what to use for the mould?
    i was thinking cut a five gallon bucket in half, use the bottom half. put a hole in the bottom to put a 1/2" by 10" long lag bolt in. place the lag bolt so the pointed edn goes through the bottom about 3"-4", and the hex end sticks up in the half of buck about 6-7" ....

now i would take corn oil, and butter the whole inside of the bucket than cover with wheat flour. so the mixture will slide out when finished. now i would put my "block Mix" into the bucket. i still would say this mixture would have to be pretty dry or slightly tacky for it to work.

now with your mix in the bucket , you would have to apply pressure for it to take shape... how about cut a piece of 3/4 plywood the size of the bucket as a top of a press. Now for pressing you might have to get creative unless you have access to a couple ton press.

now when applying pressure you might not even need to heat the mixture up for it to for a solid block if using enough pressure and if the bucket would take that kind of pressure...

but you could always heat with a heat gun to get the mixture warmed enough to have the molasses act as a glue... while applying the pressure.. then let it cool and set still under pressure.
    grab a pair of vise and give the lag sticking out the bottom a turn to get the block to break free from the bucket... this is where the oil,flour would prob help. kinda like baking a bread.

and now you are ready to screw the lag into a tree so your block is hanging off the tree....

so... hope this helps.. as i have no idea what i am talking about , nor have i ever done this. But i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I like to problem solve and when i read the post it got me thinking.. and thats always trouble. i would start with this design and after dozens of failed attempts and a lot of cursing... you might get something to work. or heck this might just work right off the bat. give it a shot and let me know how it works..

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    This is ineresting, but I already have access to all the molasses I want. I don't need to make it. I will have plenty available for sale in a week or two if anybody is interested.

But I also want to the molasses to experiment making a small feeder block. Like 8X8X4inches thick. I bought one last year for like $12-14 bucks. It bolts to a tree. That thing lasted almost all season and the cam showed the deer loved it. Unfortunately it was a bad location as only noctural cam shots were had. Another story.

I've been doing my homework and research on what type of minerals and such to add to the molasses mix to come up with a real effective, long lasting, feeder block.

Making it solid is the hitch so far. I have a few things I found online and my wife who is from England says she can make an English Tofey? Block. I'll have plenty to experiment with in a week, so we'll see.

TS
    Clear your mind, breath, be sure and confident of your shot, commit to the shot, take your shot.
    TS Penn

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    aking it solid is the hitch so far.
    I think if you use a candy thermometer and bring the temp up to 275-300 should work. Ask your wife for some advice on candy making.

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I like to problem solve and when i read the post it got me thinking.. and thats always trouble.
    Sounds like we got that in common. I am always inventing or modifying stuff.

Your idea of a dry mix with pressure sound good.

But my wife says if I boil the mix to 200 degrees and then pout it into a mold, with wax paper or something it won't stick to it will solidify like treacle, hard candy like product. Add some corn and secret ingredients. (Season to taste! ;-))

I was even thinking a mold where it would be on a rope for hanging from a tree. I love this stuff.

TS
    TS Penn

Member #
    your not going to get anything out of a true scent maker, it is all trade secrets, heck I was with a couple this week end we don't even tell each other alot we are always trying to figure out what and how they are doing. but we know better than to ask.
    but I will tell ya, you better go a little higher than 200 how much higher? that my fried you have to figure out. oh and what you put in can keep it from getting hard also. the little stuff in important in baits scents and the such.
    ACP Wildlife Control Services
    Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor scents

Monster Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Well I imagine no trade secrets will be passed as you say. I do know from experience that just pouring this stuff on corn works great! The deer are still digging the dirt and roots where I put it last year.

I'm just trying to come up with alternatives. I have a nudge and lick device for just adding the molasses to I'm working on. I have a great supply so I'm just thinking and looking for alternative ideas.

I'll have some stuff soon to field test.

TS
    TS Penn

Sponsors