NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    Member #

Question Smith and Wesson 22A

Hey guys!! Got my eye on this S&W 22A LR. I've read so many mixed reviews and was wondering if anybody here has any input. This will be my first handgun and I am on a budget. Might use it as a range/small game/ walk around the woods and shoot trees/keep next to the bed gun.

Open to alternate suggestions. My buddy just got the Browning BuckMark but in the end I want to spend MAX $400 gun+tax+nic+ammo+ffl fee is ordered

Smith and Wesson 22A 22LR DIGITAL CAMO 5.5 ADJ $286.00 SHIPS FREE

Name:  sw.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  29.3 KB

Member #
    I just bought one last week haven't fired it yet. Got it at Howell gun works he does have another one in there if you want to go see it. Go on you tube and watch the reviews it got great reviews. Really nice target pistol fits my hand really well. It is a heavy pistol.

Member #
    I have one with the 5.5 inch barrel in black & gray, not the camo. It's a good shooting gun. The first couple hundred rounds through the gun were mini mags after that I've put everything from match grade ammo to cheap bulk walmart crap without any issues with it cycling. Keep it clean though. Rimfire much dirtier then center fire. You can get a nicer gun for more money but not a bad choice for your price range. Check out smith & wesson website. Lots if accessories available including different barrels, grips, etc.. A rimfire is a good first choice for a pistol. Fun & cheap to shoot. Good luck

Member #
    Not sure where your thinking of using it h for unting. Not legal in NJ. Illegal for non-resident to even possess in NY never mind hunt with it. PA legal to hunt with pistol but not an auto loader.

Member #
    I got the two bull barrel set. Gun works great had one problem with and s&w fixed right away.
    great customer service. Great plinking gun.
    "In a civilized...country wild animals only continue
    to exist at all when preserved by sportmen.The excellent people who protest against all hunting ...
    are ignorant of the genuine sportmen is by all odds the most important factor in keeping...wild creatures
    from total exermination." Theodore Roosevelt.

Appalachian Bowmen. GBH

Member #
    Small Game= Squirrel and rabbit from the kitchen window

I just went to Meltzers on lunch and they had it. Felt good in the hand but the guy told me it was junk and that I didnt want that gun. They were kind of busy so I said 'thanks' and went my way.

Most reviews I see online seem to be good. The one negetive might be that it is ammo picky. Citori, I wouldnt even know where to get Mini-Mags now...they look like they are sold out everywhere.

Non Typical
    Sponsors
    Member #
    I own one and haven't had any issues with bulk CCIs. Accurate and fun to shoot. I scoped mine and it's deadly at 40 yards. I guess the guy at Meltzers was a mind reader. Go back and stand there starring at him and then ask him "What am I thinking now?" If he gets it right, buy whatever he suggests.

Member #
    The guys at Meltzers told you it was junk because they want to sell you a Model 41 for $1200 instead! Not singling them out but most gun shops in general want to trade you up to a higher end firearm. Like buying a car, nice to have all the bells & whistles but your the one who has to pay for it. By the time you buy the gun, add the taxes and fees, buy a couple boxes of ammo and a lockable hard case (the 22a comes in a cardboard box) you will be at your $400.

Member #
    Haven't looked for mini mags lately. I went through a hoarding phase when ammo was scarce bought it whenever I could find it. Have a few hundred rounds but I've been shooting the bulk stuff.

Sponsors