NewJerseyHunter.com is the premier Hunting Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hey Guys! One word to describe my last couple of days...FINALLY!!! The first two years of bow for me hunting have been very frustrating to say the least. I went my first season without getting close to a deer while on stand and my second year saw deer but was either not in bow range or came out past shooting hours or it was too dark for a shot. I blame part of my lack of success with not spending enough hours in the woods but it all paid off this weekend.

My father, brother and I setup in an area Saturday afternoon at 2pm, that we had not scouted in a while but were familiar with the area and knew the deer were there. We spread out across a ridge and waited.

At 4:40pm while my mind is wandering off as usual, I spot some movement at the corner of my eye, behind me. I’m thinking "NOO way a deer in by my stand." From the distance it looks like a doe but with me being a rookie I said if its brown its down and didn’t pay attention to anything but the body of the animal! Deer was about 50 yards away at the time.

At this point I'm sitting down not in a position to shoot and I can actually hear my heart beating through my chest and my hands are shaking like a leaf. I tried to calm myself down multiple times I failed every time! I began to stand up and my bow hits the side of the climber. THUMP! My thinking "oooHHhh man that’s it I’m done!"...I Look up slowly deer is still there. Unbelievable! I begin to stand up, trying to calculate my movements at the times when the deer puts its head down to eat and when its head goes behind a tree. After what seemed like a 1 hour to get to a staying position (real time 2 minutes) I begin to draw back after the deer went behind some brush. All of a sudden the deer STOPPED!! So now I’m at "FULL DRAW" (No pun intended) without a shot and I’m still shaking. So excited I didn’t let down the arrow, for fear of the arrow hitting the rider of the bow, falling of the rest or just the deer catching my movement. So I stay at full draw for about 40 seconds until the deer moves forward a little and I let it fly. Of course all my shooting form, from hours of target practice went out the window and I looked at the shot. This threw my arrow off target but I knew the hit something critical because of the reaction of the deer and how it walked off. Got on the phone and called everyone I knew telling them a shot a doe and kept telling myself to stay in the tree and be patient. While in the tree I saw two more bucks past by my stand in shooting range. A 6 and 4 pointer.

Got out of stand around 7pm and walked to the spot where I shot the deer to look for my arrow and a blood trail. Walking the yardage off it turned out to be a 40 yard shot. Not a shot that I would take if knew it was that far. So we begin to follow the blood trail and of course it leads into thick brush. We get within 5 yards of the deer and it jumps up and runs. Tail was down so we knew it was hurt and just needed more time. So we backed out and began the search again the next morning.

Sunday morning we get on the blood trail again. I find the arrow around the same spot we jumped the bedded down deer and 20 yards further there HE WAS!!!!!! It wasn’t a doe but it turned out to be a 5 pointer BUCK! After jumping about 10 feet in the air I continued to ask myself “How did I not see the horns!” Was my buck fever that bad that I didn’t look to see what it was?? Knowing that I killed a buck for my first made it that much sweeter.

I hit the deer waaayy back from where I thought I hit it. It was a hip shot. I believe I hit the femoral artery in the leg and the deer bleed out. Hardly any blood in the cavity of deer when field dressing. The Rage Broad head made an unbelievable HOLE! A time that I will never forget. Enjoy the pictures!

Im not DONE! Got in the tree late afternoon Sunday (10-3-2010) evening and shot a button buck!! Recovered and dressed this one with no problem..Sorry No pics to busy to take them..When it rains it pours I guess. Got a lot of meat now...See you guys next weekend!

Member #
    No deer in two years and then two in two days!!! Nice going, congrats!

Super Moderator
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Congrats on your first deer full draw. While your shot was not the best, you did the right thing by backing out and waiting. Glad you recovered your first deer...

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    Awesome. Congrats!
    The whole flock is safer when the wolves can't tell the difference between the lions and the lambs.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian!" - Henry Ford

Member #
    nice job
    LET THEM GO,SO THEY WILL GROW...4.5+ 130"plus
    "THE ONLY BUCKS I TAKE, GO ON THE WALL"
    ."A TROPHY IS ONLY A TROPHY IF ITS EARNED"
    ps..The crossbow is not archery equipment.

GVS
    Member #
    Congrats on your first deer.

Member #
    Sounds like you had one great experience... Deer fever there is nothing like it.

I would spend a little more time assessing your situation next time. You thought it was a doe and shot it in the ass from 40 yards.

If this is an area you routinely hunt I would pace off some yardage markers, maybe just a bit of TP on a Tree 30 yards (or your comfortable range out) Remember do not force a shot that you are not comfortable with, the deer will come.
    free-range, grass-fed, organic, locally produced, locally harvested, sustainable, native, low-stress, low-impact, humanely slaughtered meat. Best of all it is free, other then the cost of my hunting license that is.

Member #
    GREAT JOB, CONGRATS!

Dominant Buck
    Sponsors
    Member #
    If this is an area you routinely hunt I would pace off some yardage markers, maybe just a bit of TP on a Tree 30 yards (or your comfortable range out)
    Good advice. It's all a learning experience!!!!
    The whole flock is safer when the wolves can't tell the difference between the lions and the lambs.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian!" - Henry Ford

Member #
    I would spend a little more time assessing your situation next time. You thought it was a doe and shot it in the ass from 40 yards.

If this is an area you routinely hunt I would pace off some yardage markers, maybe just a bit of TP on a Tree 30 yards (or your comfortable range out) Remember do not force a shot that you are not comfortable with, the deer will come.
    You are absoultely right. I was impatient and my lack of experience showed this weekend. However I just happy I recovered the deer and will learn from this just like Im sure every does each time they go out.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors